What's new

My foray into straight razor shaving

Thanks Nate and Dave! Another member here has one - waiting to see Mr. Clark's review!

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Shave 111 - straight shave #103

Razor: Joseph Ragg Napoleon
Brush: Stirling l'il Brudder 22/51 synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Well broke out the CBLindsay coticule this evening and worked with it for about 45 minutes honing up the Jos. Ragg razor. I did not take it back to the bevel set instead just worked it up from a slurry to mostly water and many light X strokes. I did alternate a few circles and half strokes early on. The razor was stubbornly refusing to pass a HHT and after more time on the stone I went and hit it 25x on the firehose and 35x on leather. Did the HHT again and it was better. Figured more time on coticule and back to linen and leather 30x/60x and then another HHT. The last test was decent. Was not treetopping hair on arm.

On to the shave. The soap was once again excellent, but the brush is not going to win me over. Best part of brush is fitting in the small soap containers. It is just set a couple of millimeters too far for my preference.

The razor was ok - it definitely needs a bit more sharpness as it was ever so slightly resistant to going through the whiskers. It took 3 passes to remove the growth and I probably could have done at least another pass in the problem areas. The good part is that the face feels great with no irritation except small spot right on Adam's apple.

Takeaways - too soon to tell, but if the face would feel like this consistently after some time on the coticule - then I will need to get a coticule. Again, I need it a bit keener for sure, but hopefully I can figure it out a bit more and coax more out of it. This is only a freshening up that I did. Going from a set bevel or after 3k & 5k onto coticule will be a better test for me.

Have a good night everyone!

Very nice narrative Pete and excellent work on your first outing with the Coticule my Friend. Just keep in mind that every stone is different and requires a slightly different approach. Once you go down to water only try and do some laps under running water and see if that keens it up a bit more for you. They do indeed leave the face feeling amazing after a shave once the edge is fully honed in the coticule style:thumbup:

I found I could do an awful lot of time with slurry, getting all the different parts of the edge all nice and clean. Then once I started diluting the slurry I stopped doing any circles (if I did them at all). I would dilute the slurry a bit at a time and continue until I had just water (this happened kind of fast). Then I would wash the blade and keep going on the water only a bit longer. Then I would do light running water, making 20 or more rapid strokes per side and repeating until the blade really felt like it stuck to the stone. I added a drop of liquid soap and did some more but that didn't seem to change things much.

More stropping afterward helped though...just another 20 on each seemed to change things (repeating the linen and leather sequence)

...mind you, I never mastered anything. And certainly never got the most that stone can offer. Just a decent shave.

I found I could do an awful lot of time with slurry, getting all the different parts of the edge all nice and clean. Then once I started diluting the slurry I stopped doing any circles (if I did them at all). I would dilute the slurry a bit at a time and continue until I had just water (this happened kind of fast). Then I would wash the blade and keep going on the water only a bit longer. Then I would do light running water, making 20 or more rapid strokes per side and repeating until the blade really felt like it stuck to the stone. I added a drop of liquid soap and did some more but that didn't seem to change things much.

More stropping afterward helped though...just another 20 on each seemed to change things (repeating the linen and leather sequence)

...mind you, I never mastered anything. And certainly never got the most that stone can offer. Just a decent shave.

Hi Chris,

I used the coticule tonight to touch up another razor - a JR Torrey 5/8 Barber Point. I only spent about 20 minutes on it from a light slurry to clean water (not running) and then went in to strop. Did 25x linen and 50x leather. Did HHT and it did ok. I next went and did another 50x linen and 100x leather. Much better results from a razor that I was getting some irritation from previously. Still more to go though.

Shave 112 - straight shave #104

Razor: JR Torrey 5/8 Barber Point touched up on CBLindsay coticule then stropping on linen and leather.
Brush: 24mm 2-band Finest
Soap: Stirling Iced Pineapple
Aftershave: Barbasol Brisk

3 pass shave tonight using this wonderful soap. Takes awhile to build the lather and really find I need to add a good amount of lather. But the lather that results is pretty special. Great sheen and slick - I run the tap to rinse my fingers rather than dip them in the brush soaking bowl like I usually do.

The Virginia Sheng 2-band finest knot is very nice as well. I like it better than the Silvertip knot (have them in 24 & 28) from her (them).

The result. This blade has irritated me a bit in the past. Tonight I found that the razor did not give me any irritation -zero, zip, zilch. I don't think it is too big of a stretch to give some of the credit to the touch up on the coticule. The soap - I am sure the soap contributed to some of the nice result too. Much less harsh but razor taking just a little more pressure to get through ATG. DFS shave as a couple spots could be a little better.

Will keep going now with bevel on up on a razor - going after 5k with coticule.

proxy.php

Oh yeah - new sponge added to the gear.

I gotta stay off of ebay. Was looking at Weck Sextoblades and ended up negotiating a 'best offer' on another Johan Engstrom frameback. This one looks a little different and has a thumb notch. Looks pretty decent with some cleanup and TLC.

Have a good night!

Outstanding Shave and work on the Coticule Pete and once you get that "Perfect Combo" dialed in for the edges with a coticule finish, it is very unlikely that you will search for anything but that comfort and keenness combo. Some folks will look and look and continue to try for ever keener edges, but with the "Lunatic Sharp" edges also comes some irritation as it is ultimately exfoliating the skin when it is beyond a certain level of sharp. That is what I find the most comforting about a good coticule edge, it is sharp enough to deliver a very long lasting and BBS shave without that irritation from being too keen an edge.:thumbup:

Outstanding Shave and work on the Coticule Pete and once you get that "Perfect Combo" dialed in for the edges with a coticule finish, it is very unlikely that you will search for anything but that comfort and keenness combo. Some folks will look and look and continue to try for ever keener edges, but with the "Lunatic Sharp" edges also comes some irritation as it is ultimately exfoliating the skin when it is beyond a certain level of sharp. That is what I find the most comforting about a good coticule edge, it is sharp enough to deliver a very long lasting and BBS shave without that irritation from being too keen an edge.:thumbup:
Hi Nate,

I believe you may be right. I have heard Slash McCoy mention the film edges and how he likes them wickedly sharp and that they may not be for everyone. I like the sharpness I was (am) getting with the film, but too often there was irritation, not a lot, but something I would like to reduce or if possible eliminate.

I still think the film with CrOx and FeOx may provide the keeness without the harshness of the diamond pastes. Maybe my stropping game needs to be improved and the diamond edge would be tempered a bit with more stropping or something. Maybe I should go back to the thin unpasted balsa strop before going to linen and leather when using film.

However, if I can get a keen edge that delivers consistently good irritation free shaves from the coticule and maintain with linen leather and the occasional CrOx/FeOx then that will be fantastic.

Still staring up at the learning curve in front of me, but hopeful I can start climbing it.

Hi Nate,

I believe you may be right. I have heard Slash McCoy mention the film edges and how he likes them wickedly sharp and that they may not be for everyone. I like the sharpness I was (am) getting with the film, but too often there was irritation, not a lot, but something I would like to reduce or if possible eliminate.

I still think the film with CrOx and FeOx may provide the keeness without the harshness of the diamond pastes. Maybe my stropping game needs to be improved and the diamond edge would be tempered a bit with more stropping or something. Maybe I should go back to the thin unpasted balsa strop before going to linen and leather when using film.

However, if I can get a keen edge that delivers consistently good irritation free shaves from the coticule and maintain with linen leather and the occasional CrOx/FeOx then that will be fantastic.

Still staring up at the learning curve in front of me, but hopeful I can start climbing it.

That is definitely a terrific point Pete, everyone seems to get great results from a variety of different things and I believe most of it is truly based on personal preferences as well as the individual skin type they have. Some faces are tough enough to handle the most Blisteringly Keen edges that can cut through the space time continuum and there are others of us like myself with sensitive skin that require a less keen edge that has a higher smoothness level. It all boils down to trial and error and finding what works the very best for you.

Very Nice looking Frame Back incoming my Friend:thumbup1:

Shave 113 - straight shave #105

Razor: CVH MK*5
Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Stirling Iced Pineapple
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Spent an hour with this razor tonight on the stones and film. Dulled the edge on a tile and then started on one 15u film and I wasn't confident, so went to the King 1000 stone that I had been soaking. Had lapped it on some 500 grit wet/dry attached to marble. After King went to 15u - which is a bit redundant, then to 9u and then 5u. The 5u is about the equivalent to 4500 - 5000 grit. I was using half strokes and x-strokes on the film. Then I moved to coticule.

The coticule work started with some slurry and worked it through until I was working with just water. I wast using running water yet - as I am not going to risk it with a borrowed stone.

After honing on stone for a while - I still was not able to cut arm hair. Went and ran the blade on the linen firehose for 75x and tested the edge with HHT and it was better. Then stropped it on leather for 125x. HHT was better, but treetopping was not stellar.

Went and showered and then did a three pass shave. Was able to once again whip up the Iced Pineapple into some nice slick lather. Even got three passes out of the 30 second loading of brush - something that never happens. BTW think this soap likes water and you can add a good amount.

The results were very good - again no irritation after the 3 passes. A couple of pin head weepers on upper lip with the fool's pass, but they were gone with rinse and AS splash.

Takeaways - Liking this edge, specifically the comfort of the shave. I feel I am using a bit more pressure, but I am not paying for it with discomfort.

I may take the Engstrom frameback to some FeOx 0.1u paste on balsa and compare the shave with regard to comfort and keeness.

Did get the Greager shavette in today, but blades who were a lot closer to ship have not made it yet. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday.

Very Nicely Done Pete:thumbup1: You Hit The Key perfectly with the Following Statement...."I feel I am using a bit more pressure, but I am not paying for it with discomfort." This is one thing I like the absolute Most about Coticule Edges, I have a lot of injuries and some of them leave me a bit heavy handed by the end of a shave. The Coticule is definitely my weapon of choice for being able to mitigate that heavy handedness without paying for it in blood or razor burn:thumbup1:

Dude...if you think it wonder if running water (dribbling) is going to take it to the next level, go there that's why you have the stone. I don't know if using glycerin or soap mixed with water as a last stage instead of running water will make a difference but you might consider it.
I like your FOB idea, you might need a higher lap count than the diamond (or not, I don't know) but if it helps make it a nudge better it's worth knowing.

I think the goal is to finish on the Coticule but if/when you get a chance, 15 or 30 laps on that 12k-ish c-nat before the FOB might offer a smoother finish (I don't know for sure, I didn't use it much).
I am very happy excited to know you are having some good shaves so far (HHT aren't everything but it's nice when the hair falls silently to the floor)

Thank you guys! I am wiped out right now and heading to bed. Just had a reply done to Nate's post and an inadvertent back arrow - lost....

Went to a wake today of the husband of a woman I know from town this afternoon. 54 years old and passed due to a heart attack - way too young. I was getting dressed this morning with the wake in mind, and must have added a few pounds - as I could not get any of my dress shirts top button done. My pants were too snug for comfort as well. Off to three clothing stores tonight and I am all set for a wedding tomorrow. New pants, new shirts, undershirts, hankerchiefs, and a new tie. Everything ready to go and I won't risk putting out a wedding guests eye with my pants boon or a collar button.

Shaved tonight FeOx treated Engstrom, and Williams. Decent shave, some irritation though....

Shave 133 - straight shave #105

Razor: Johan Engstrom
Brush: 24mm Boar brush
Soap: Williams
Postshave: Witch Hazel
Aftershave: The Veg

Used the FeOx on newly created pasted balsa. 40x laps then linen and leather stropping.

A 3 pass shave using the non-American boar brush and the Williams soap. Had pre-soaked I the Williams for an hour per Chris (CBLindsay). I was able to get pretty decent lather out of it and a full 3 passes. The lather is not up to a Tabac or Stirling offering for me, but it was good. Maybe a drop of glycerin or superlather with a bit of cream.

Some minor weepers and irritation on top lip. Should have used the Iced Pineapple or Tabac as I was looking to judge the touching up the blade with FeOx and seeing if I got a good comfortable shave. Introducing a new variable (soap) makes it difficult to compare directly.

Shave was not up to the two previous shaves. Looks like I may try to hit this up on CNAT or Coticule and then try it.

Brought the Injector on the road trip to the wedding in PA to touch up before ceremony. Sitting g in the back of the minivan with no access to the climate controls, my wife driving like she is a part of the Joey Chitwood stunt team, and mindless pop music playing in a 10 song loop is going to lead to an interesting trip.....

Oh My, condolences for your co worker for sure my Friend, and sounds like congratulations are also in order for the Bride and Groom to be as well. Sorry to hear about the non perfect shave my Friend and from what I have been reading them there injectors are a steady Eddy on performance so you should be in great hands for the shaves my Friend:thumbup:

The trip on the other hand, that would drive me nuts LOL, you are a stronger man than I LMAO

Longest car ride ever.......think it was easier when we had a map and just figured out the route. Made longer by having youngest ask every 15 minutes how much longer....

Longest car ride ever.......think it was easier when we had a map and just figured out the route. Made longer by having youngest ask every 15 minutes how much longer....

Hang In There Brother, you will be there before you know it LOL:thumbup1:

Top Bottom