What's new

My foray into straight razor shaving

I've got a palmolive stick that I have been meaning to use. I really gotta open that up especially with all the fine reviews.

Great shave with the Blackhawk Pete! Be careful driving on the roads today, not necessarily due to the road conditions but the other people.
Thanks Josh,

I left early enough to get home in plenty of time before my supermodel strength laxative drinks would begin to kick in. Slow down a bit, don't tailgate and take it easy are all good things to remember when roads conditions are snowy or icy.
I rather like the scent. The only way I know how to describe it is, "clean". I dig it. I just got the European Palmolive cream the other day and will be using it with the stick for super lathers. Great stuff! [emoji106]1:
Hey Chris! The smell is a clean smell and I like it too - but it is plain compared to a lot of the artisan soaps out there. It is so nick and slick and great for traveling!
Great stuff Pete, and some good info about the frags. That Black Hawk is looking more tempting all the time.
Good afternoon Eric! Thanks for the comments. I brought out the EdT and Colognes for a smell comparison. Like an idiot I had my wife come in to give the paper scented with a spray a sniff. There were 18 of them out at the time. She was a little shocked, especially since there are a bunch of aftershaves still in the medicine cabinet....
I've got a palmolive stick that I have been meaning to use. I really gotta open that up especially with all the fine reviews.
Oh you gotta break it out - purely for research purposes.
Not my favorite cocktail at all, good for you to get this done regularly! I'm glad today's shave was so much better than yesterday's, a nice start to the week.
I doubled down with the MiriLax/Gatorade mix and a kicker of Citrus flavored Magnesium Citrate. Glad I went even though it was a PITA ....[emoji6]
The Blackhawk comes to the rescue Pete. Great shave.
Walt - your new Asylum RX is definitely the more polished well-heeled cousin to the Black Hawk, but it sure does shave sweet.
LMAO! it just dawned on me the Cuba Container was supposed to look like a Cigar! :blush:
Lol! A little kitchy for sure, but not bad for a low cost frag!

Shave 315 - straight shave #287

Razor - CVH 5/8
Brush - Omega 10066
Soap - Stirling Mountain Man
Aftershave - Fine American Blend
EdT - Cuba Black

Well binge watched Narcos on Netflix last night watching 7 episodes before going to bed at midnight. Up again at 4am to continue the colonoscopy prep drink and surf the journals. Had a very easy time at the hospital and was back home by 12:30pm. Some tests on a couple of things which I will hear back on in a few days, but glad that it is behind me (ba-da-boom!)

Since I had some time this morning I used the CVH 5/8 straight. I believe this has a similar blade profile to the MK*31 without the thumbnotch. It is a very comfortable razor to use and I can see why Swedish steel was so sought after.

Breaking in the Omega 10066 so used it again today. I selected the Stirling Mountain Man soap - it may be Sharped Dressed Man - can't tell any more and used that. The brush and soap combined to give me a pretty decent slick lather.

3 passes and then sprayed the Cuba Black three times on the chest and a healthy splash of the Fine AB aftershave

proxy.php

Nice set up and photo, Pete! Is there any number at all on the CVH? Perhaps just a number on the monkey tail? The reason I ask is that my CVH No8 only has the "No 8" stamped on the tip of the tail.

That's great on the Scope! 5 more years before the next!

Thank you Rich! Looks like every 3-5 years on out until I am about 75 when they cut them off typically nowadays.

Pete, nice shave with the CVH. Thanks for turning me onto the Cuba EDTs, nice scents for great price!

Excellent, I am glad you are liking those Cuba fragrances. I might get the Royal next as it is their interpretation (clone) of 1-Million, which I actually liked.

Nice Stuff Pete and Glad al when well at the scoping

Thank you Dave! I am glad they gave me the Propofol and knocked me out entirely, don't want to be in a half-knocked out state and say some inappropriate things. This is the same stuff Michael Jackson was using regularly to get a good night sleep.

View attachment 707415

Lol! Eric, I love that picture.

Great shave Pete. Those Swedes do take an amazing edge, though it took me a long time to really find that out lol.

Nice set up and photo, Pete! Is there any number at all on the CVH? Perhaps just a number on the monkey tail? The reason I ask is that my CVH No8 only has the "No 8" stamped on the tip of the tail.

I will check again Chris and see, but I do not think so. I think Arne was saying that some of these were make later with the blade etching on it that would not last, so they may be later razors from the company. It does not have a thumb notch, and like you, I think I actually prefer that tang style over the thumb notch.

great shave Pete! The C.V.H.'s can give amazing shaves, glad you were the recipient of one!

Hey Josh! They are fine razors indeed and a pleasure to shave with.

Shave 316 - straight shave sticking at #287

Razor - RazoRock Black Hawk
Blade - Feather Pro (7)
Brush - Custom 2-band Finest 24/52
Soap - WSP Formula T Barbershop
Aftershave - Fine American Blend
EdT - Azzaro PH (3 Vasilys)

Well was a bit zonked out last night so hit the bed fairly early after an afternoon power-nap. Woke up and did not want to get out of bed, so got a bit of a late start to the day. Decided to use the Black Hawk SE again today - I really like this razor and find that I am gravitating to it quite a bit. Made it simple by sticking with the barbershop theme today with the Formula T WSP Barbershop soap and then the Fine AB aftershave and Azzaro PH EdT. I switched up the brush and brought out my 2-band Finest knot from Vig Shaving (Virginia Sheng) in a Frank's shaving repurposed butterscotch handle from a boar brush I got as a donor handle. I wanted to convince myself that this brush is all I need and I do not need to go looking at the nice new Stirling brush with the barbershop butterscotch handle. I think I have convinced myself that there is no need for it. Chad received his and Josh has his on the way, I cannot remember if Tom or Owen has one as I write this, but the fan shape sure does look nice with that handle.

Not much to report - a wonderful 2-pass DFS+ shave - only missing out due to a spot on the ball of the chin. If I went for a third pass - no problems and it would have been elevated, but no reason to chase, plus I did not realize it till at work and rubbing my face. The Fine AB is good stuff and I really like this scent or style of scent. I paired it with the Azzaro PH today and went with three sprays on the chest. This stuff has more strength than the Cuba Black - very nice scent that is readily available at Marshalls and TJ Maxx stores - and other big box stores as well as Amazon and Ebay.

I hope everyone has a good day!

$20161207_070642_B.jpg

....I will check again Chris and see, but I do not think so. I think Arne was saying that some of these were make later with the blade etching on it that would not last, so they may be later razors from the company. It does not have a thumb notch, and like you, I think I actually prefer that tang style over the thumb notch.

Roger that.....and regarding the thumb notch: you and I are vastly outnumbered on this one. I finally have an ally! :lol:

....Azzaro.... very nice scent that is readily available....

Love it!

I am not sure I am comfortable knowing you were cruising the old B&B whilst on your thrown. Knowing you might have run across some of my own posts while...well lest just say I hope you enjoyed the free time. Happy to hear is has come and gone.

Your shaves look like fun too.

Very nice shave today. And I really like the looks of that brush. I have always wanted a butterscotch brush which is why I ordered the Stirling one. But one day I hope to find a vintage one I can bring back to life.

You snuck one in on me Pete, and I am having a difficult time staying caught up of late. Glad the CVH performed for you. I am in the "I like the thumb notch" camp, but I could easily go without it as well. I hope that the histopathology results all come back clean from the colonoscopy. My fist one resulted in surgery at 51 years of age. I won't share the details as there is no need for you to be worried, but that resulted in two preps at age 51, one at 52, one at 53, one at 56, now I am back on the 5 year plan and will have one in a couple of years.

Roger that.....and regarding the thumb notch: you and I are vastly outnumbered on this one. I finally have an ally! :lol:

Love it!

Hey Chris - yes, I find it just fits my grip better. I still like the MK*6 with the notch and it is at the top of the razor hierarchy, but given a choice the straight tang is my preference. That just leaves more of the other straight tang ones for us :001_smile.

Catching up Pete ; Great reads

Thank you Dave for checking in an reading the posts!

I am not sure I am comfortable knowing you were cruising the old B&B whilst on your thrown. Knowing you might have run across some of my own posts while...well lest just say I hope you enjoyed the free time. Happy to hear is has come and gone.

Your shaves look like fun too.

Hey Chris! No, strictly business on the bowl - I got very adept at the removing of ear phones, putting the tablet down carefully and using the other hand to lower the chaise lounge with the electric motor (man those are slow :blush:) and then penguin shuffling to my bathroom.

Very nice shave today. And I really like the looks of that brush. I have always wanted a butterscotch brush which is why I ordered the Stirling one. But one day I hope to find a vintage one I can bring back to life.

Yes, the Catalan handles or the old bakelite handles are very very cool. Someone on the forum picked up a Rudy Vey in a beehive that looks a lot like a vintage brush - it is just so so cool looking and has the look of aged vintage material. This one does not look anywhere as nice as far as the handle material quality, but I like the shape and it was a great size for the knot size I prefer (24/26)

Another great shave with the Black Hawk. Very nice Pete.

Thanks Eric. So nice and so easy and not intimidating at all.

You snuck one in on me Pete, and I am having a difficult time staying caught up of late. Glad the CVH performed for you. I am in the "I like the thumb notch" camp, but I could easily go without it as well. I hope that the histopathology results all come back clean from the colonoscopy. My fist one resulted in surgery at 51 years of age. I won't share the details as there is no need for you to be worried, but that resulted in two preps at age 51, one at 52, one at 53, one at 56, now I am back on the 5 year plan and will have one in a couple of years.

Thank you for the reply Walt and for the thoughts!! I am just waiting, but not dwelling on hearing back the results - not much you can do either way as you just have to wait and go forward if there is an issue, which I certainly hope there is not. Glad to hear your issue is in the past and that they have you moved out to every 5 years.

Pete, I would like to know who made your custom brush, it is a beauty. Congratulations on your last couple of shaves, good stuff!

Chris @cmh737 opened an interesting topic regarding the numbers or lack of on CVH razors. It appears there are a lot of variables determining whether a CVH blade has a number on the tang or not. The first variable appears to be who CVH was making the blade for (department store sale or company sale); as Arne mentioned many of the department store razors had script on the show side of the blade that has worn away - especially I have found with razors sold in French department stores (later models). Many other razors, for reasons I'll never know, were sold with M**K on the tang without a number. As Chris points out some were sold with a number stamped on the tail, my MK*16 is like that. Still other were sold with just the CVH stamp and no MK or number. I have seen MK*31s, MK*32 and a few lower numbered CVHs in this grouping. It is what it is and lends some mystery to those razors without full identification. And it doesn't change the quality of razor.

Hi Dan! I put the brush together with a knot from Vig Shaving (Virginia Sheng) - it is a 2-band finest and it is very very inexpensive, but of good quality. I have it in a 24 and a 25.5mm knot and they both are very nice. The knots are not as dense as the SV knots, at least they do not appear to be, but they are of sufficient density, have good backbone without feeling scritchy. I probably have $20 tied up in each brush - plus my time.

I agree with you about the CVH razors - I really like to hear the history of the razors and the members on here are full of great knowledge of them. When I first posted the razor Arne thought that it looked like a 31 in blade profile - without the thumbnotch. It just looks very nice - simple in its design but so functional in the hand.

Top Bottom