What's new

My foray into straight razor shaving

Shave 269 - straight shave #254

Razor - Genco Henry XX
Brush - Custom Brown Horsehair 24/52
Soap - TTFFC - 2016 Sue Moore Currant & Rose
Aftershave - TTFFC 2016 Sue Moore Currant & Rose

I did a one pass shave last night due to me testing out the 2016 Sue Moore soap. I was lathered up and figured I would test the shaving qualities of the soap and also the edge of the blade.

The soap was easy to lather, smelled good - toned down a bit from smelling it in the tub, and was slick. As others have mentioned - the water band is pretty wide with this soap. I am a bit bummed that the soap did tingle my face - so I may have some sensitivity to the EO/FO in the soap. I did only one pass and rinsed off - no other face prep - just a quick pass and rinse. I applied the matching AS and the irritation quickly went away. I had used the AS previously, but I had not shaken it up. I was reading it was like an aftershave 'milk', shaking it up allowed me to see that it was like an AS milk. When I used it before I did not shake it and the AS was clear - as it was not mixed properly.

That wasn't irritation Pete, it was angel kisses! Maybe try a bowl lather or less soap, I suspect the soap loads so heavy the irritation is related to the amount of soap. ...SO...how'd you do on the edge?

Shave 270 - straight shave #255

Razor - Genco Henry XX
Brush - Semogue SOC boar
Soap - Tabac
Aftershave - Avon Island Lime
EDT - Ferregamo Aqua Essenziale Colonia

I stropped the razor last night after the one pass shave. The razor was good and smooth today - there is just something that is so nice about a razor sharpened on a coticule. It is not atom-splitting sharp, but it is keen and smooth. Did three passes today and the face feels great - smooth, very smooth. After the shave I ran it 15x on the FeOx pasted balsa strop - will use it tomorrow to see if it is as good.

Back to the Tabac this morning. The big SOC boar loaded easily and provided 3 passes of lather without issue. Have to admit though - I get the same amount of lather from the little Semogue 1470 though.

It is an overcast day today with rain in the morning and then lots later today. Still mowed up the leaves in the wet grass this morning. I used the vintage Avon Island Lime with the Ferregamo Aqua Essenziale Colonia they are playing well together but the lime has essentially faded.

Mail call today was a new Cobra Bio Cell driver - bought it as a used club, but it has never been hit. Went and hit 30 balls with it. Will take some time to dial it in.

Have a good weekend everyone.

proxy.php

Great shave! I am intrigued by the driver. I stopped carrying a driver because of being the king of worm burners. Interesting it can be adjusted to 12 deg. Almost to the 13 deg brassie I use instead (2wood) :blush:

Nice shave Pete and congrats on picking up the new driver. I've always been partial to Taylor Made and Adams...but Cobra makes a real nice club as well...very forgiving!

Better get your golfing in now! Winter is quickly approaching! Weather has been pretty rough here over the last couple days as well. Wind pretty high, rainy and overcast, temp dropping... Fall is in full swing!

I've always like the Cobra clubs, but have found that at my age and ability level, the Taylor Mades are a better fit. Nice shave and great results on the Genco, you've got a lifetime shaver there! Hope you get a sunny weekend!
I have a Rocketballz 3 wood that I like quite a bit and Rocketballz irons as well. I had been using a 5 or 6 year old Nike driver. The truth of the matter is - it is the guy swinging the club that needs to change - not the clubs. I need to focus on tempo and regain some former flexibility. I am in my late 40's and getting a bit of a front porch (belly) so the swing is not as fluid as it once was. Plus, I have only played about 10 rounds on two trips this year. Need to get more rounds in and short game practice. Last year I probably played another 15-18 9-hole rounds which improved my swing and practiced chipping another 8 or so times.

The Genco are very nice. I am very happy with the current two and have another waiting a good clean and hone.
Looks like everyone is enjoying a fantastic Friday shave. Good job on the Genco!
Thank you Chris. Hope you have a great Saturday.
Good Stuff Pete, I guess your got the Coti... and a driver..... Nice shave and photo!
Thank you Dave!
Great shave! I am intrigued by the driver. I stopped carrying a driver because of being the king of worm burners. Interesting it can be adjusted to 12 deg. Almost to the 13 deg brassie I use instead (2wood) :blush:
It also has three draw settings. I use a site called global golf - been using them for years and must have bought 12+ clubs from them including an iron set - great selection of lefty clubs and often 15 & 30% off of those left clubs. This driver was new, but the condition was described as 'very good' in their rating scale. Got it for $60 with 15% off coupon.

The adjustment of the degrees is easy and simple. I only used the 10.5 setting. Will try the draw setting next time. I had a Cobra Driver 20 years ago and liked it. The problem I have is with my swing, not the clubs [emoji6] .
Nice shave Pete and congrats on picking up the new driver. I've always been partial to Taylor Made and Adams...but Cobra makes a real nice club as well...very forgiving!
Never tried Adams drivers - did try a 3wd on simulator and was not as consistent as TM. I was looking at TM SLDR and Jet Speed but liked the shafts on this one.
Better get your golfing in now! Winter is quickly approaching! Weather has been pretty rough here over the last couple days as well. Wind pretty high, rainy and overcast, temp dropping... Fall is in full swing!
We had tremendous thunder and lightning last night and probably close to 3" rain. News reports had 2.5" in next town over with plenty of rain still to fall yesterday. Temps next week will be colder, so you are right!

Shave 271 - straight shave #256

Razor - CVH 5/8
Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - Tabac
Aftershave - Pinaud Clubman
EdC - Coty Stetson

A three passer this late morning just before noon. Up early on this wet Saturday and watching some English Premier League Football. For the first 45 minutes there was no sound on NBCSports channel. My wife came in and mentioned there was an issue where the TV was in Spanish. The SAP setting was changed. After a quick Google I was able to hear the match [emoji5].

Went out and mowed up the leaves that fell since yesterday. Even though it was misting and we received 3" of rain overnight - I want to keep up with them as they are going to fall quickly this fall. Showered and then a relaxed shave. Had Pandora playing on the little Bluetooth speaker - listening to the 3 Dog Night channel. Billy Joel, Eagles, The Guess Who all played during the shave. The Genco was good again having been stropped on the FeOx before linen and leather. Probably not as smooth and as comfortable as just off the coticule though.

Finished off with the classic Clubman and then a healthy splash of vintage Stetson cologne.

Have a good Saturday everyone.

proxy.php

Sounds like a great relaxing shave and a nice cool Misty morning. Great photo as well. Summer decided to rear its ugly head again high 90's ugh.

I missed 250- very impressive! I hope to mirror your success on the coti someday. How is the vintage Stetson? I enjoy the modern Stetson cooling AS.

Shave 272 - straight shave #257

Razor - CVH Henry XX
Brush - Custom 24/51 2-band Finest
Soap - Tabac
Aftershave - Fine L'Orange Noir
EdT - Franck Olivier black Touch

A lazy Sunday today. Spent time last night with my family at my Parent's house for dinner and visiting. My youngest had spent the day with her Nana getting spoiled. The night would have been perfect if the Bruins beat the Montreal Canadians, but they lost. This morning was watching Man. United getting smoked by Chelsea 0-4 and Southampton tieing Man. City 1-1. Heading out to coach a soccer game then watching the Pats vs. Steelers. Oh yeah - my wife and I were married 17 years ago today.

3 passes this afternoon. The blade was good again - did 15x on FeOx then stropping on firehose and leather yesterday and 25x more on leather preshave.

Nothing much to report shavewise, but loving the AS/EdT combo and smelling good as I go outside in 45-50 degree weather with gusts to 20 mph.

proxy.php

Have a good day everyone!

Love the weekend you had, mine wasn't a busy one but it wasn't a lazy one either...ok "I" was lazy but the weekend wasn't.
I hit the swap meet this morning hoping to catch the guy who had the coticules but the weather was threatening so most people had packed up. I was hoping to score another big one because I'm really liking the one I have.

Well...as I am typing this I'm learning that 500mg of niacin and rum & coke DONT mix. Holly crap I'm on fire...gotta go!

Top Bottom