What's new

Israeli Reds vs Super Platinums

I know this has been discussed on here before, because I found several old threads about it, but nothing seemed definitive to me. So I'm opening up this can of worms anew:

Somebody asked about Müster blades a while back. I'd never heard of them, but managed to find them from an Italian vendor (who shipped from Slovenia). The outer packaging was unique, but the wrapper was the same as is found in some "Super Platinum" blades apparently made by Personna in Nazareth. It looks like they're simply Personnas rebranded for a particular Turkish company

When I tried the Müsters, I cannot describe how wonderful these blades were to my face. If I had to choose a single blade to use for the rest of my life, these would be the ones. But, of course, Müsters—though not too pricey—are very difficult to come by. So I'm trying to identify which Personna blades these are identical to.

I heard tell that the Israeli Reds were the same as the Super Platinums (despite the fact that they're labeled Platinum Chrome). So I did a test today using a Müster on one side of my face and an Israeli Red on the other side. Very similar, but I didn't feel they were the same blade.

I don't have any Crystals, but I understand that these may be the ones I'm looking for. Is there, in fact, a difference between the Crystal and the Israeli Red?

$muester.jpg

Okay, so that settles that aspect. Thank you for that.

Next question: Is there a difference between the Crystals and Israeli Reds?

There is a difference between the crystals and the reds in my opinion. They definitely feel different to me. The Qball blades from the Israeli personna plant uses that same wrapper as well.

You might want to hit tryablade and get several of each from the factory and see which feels closest.

Last edited:
There is a difference between the crystals and the reds in my opinion. They definitely feel different to me. The Qball blades from the Israeli personna plant uses that same wrapper as well.

You might want to hit tryablade and get several of each from the factory and see which feels closest.

No, I believe you. I tried the two (red & Müster) on my face in a test this morning and it was close, but not quite the same. I just wanted to make sure that it just wasn't a difference in the amount of pressure, or angle, or side of my face, etc. It was my first side-by-side comparison. Great shave on both sides, but the Müster was slightly more comfortable.

So I'll need to order 100 Crystals before I begin my 2016 purchase sabbatical.

My favorite persona blade from Israel is Tomy. The also make Eddison, Royal, and Viking sword. If crystal isn't the same Qball and royal are also platinum coated. They all felt different to me. Good luck finding the ideal personna that is easy to source.

...So I'll need to order 100 Crystals before I begin my 2016 purchase sabbatical.

FWIW Crystal are the one blade I absolutely cannot stand. I've read other unfavorarable reviews as well. You might want to try a tuck before you commit. In fact, if you don't mind PM'ing me your address I'll send the 7 blades I have to you.

In fact, if you don't mind PM'ing me your address I'll send the 7 blades I have to you.
This is the great thing about this site. We see someplace where we can help somebody out and we PIF 'em something they need or something that'll help them find out if they want to spend money on it.

I have not tried Muster's so cannot comment on those.

I have a fair bit of experience with Personna reds which I like a lot. I also endorse the labs (essentially the same IMO as med preps which get an additional cleaning step).

I have Crystals (which I understand are made in the same factory as the Israeli reds). The Crystals are a cut below the blades above IME.

Hope this helps!

FWIW Crystal are the one blade I absolutely cannot stand. I've read other unfavorarable reviews as well. You might want to try a tuck before you commit. In fact, if you don't mind PM'ing me your address I'll send the 7 blades I have to you.
Same here. Can't stand the things. Don't know how I ended up with a few, but I'm not using them. In fact, I won't even PIF them!

I find the Personna Red to be a better quality than the crystals, sometimes the crystals can be inconsistent, they shave good but I get a bad blade every once in a while, the reds in the white wrapping that come in ten plastic packs are consistent quality wise, I find them to be smoother and sharper compared to the crystals.

I use both regularly and I consider Personna Super+ Platinum (aka Crystals) sharper than Persona Platinum Chrome. Quite a bit sharper, although they both give me an excellent shave.
Personna Super+ Platinum is one of my favorite blades and consider them as good as Astra SP. I would dare say they shave the same.

I bought 100Qballs from the bay longtime ago and I thought that they are the Israeli Personna's. I didn't like them, now I will order a couple personna red's.

Top Bottom