What's new

Sad News - Charles A. Roberts of Enchante

I haven't posted on this forum in quite some and I hate dropping in on such a sad note. My good friend Charles, owner of Enchante in Austin, TX passed away last week. Many of us who have been in the wet shaving community for sometime have likely used or read about his Hydrolast line of products and Method Shaving techniques. Wet shaving was a great passion of his and he was always more than happy to devote his time and knowledge to teaching men how to achieve the best results from their shaves. He will be greatly missed :(

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=charles-andreas-roberts&pid=176913136

Thanks Mike, I also haven't posted on here in a long time. Charles was a good guy, passionate about this stuff and just an all around generous and giving person. He will be very, very missed.

I'm very sad to hear this. I tried the Hydrolast system and it wasn't for me but I read a great deal about shaving that he wrote when I started traditional wet shaving a few years ago. Everyone who met him said he was a great guy and very passionate about wet shaving. I hope his YouTube videos will stay up.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I haven't posted on this forum in quite some and I hate dropping in on such a sad note. My good friend Charles, owner of Enchante in Austin, TX passed away last week. Many of us who have been in the wet shaving community for sometime have likely used or read about his Hydrolast line of products and Method Shaving techniques. Wet shaving was a great passion of his and he was always more than happy to devote his time and knowledge to teaching men how to achieve the best results from their shaves. He will be greatly missed :(

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=charles-andreas-roberts&pid=176913136

Thank you for posting this unfortunate news, and our sincere condolences to you and all of Charles' family and friends at this difficult time.

Thanks for posting. He was a controversial figure but one who always offered a helping hand. So sorry to hear this sad news. A true gentleman. Prayers and condolences to his family.

That's sad. I liked Charles and a lot of his methods transferred to traditional shaving as we know it today. He loved the hobby passionately and was a great guy to talk to

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Truly saddened to hear of this.
His enthusiasm was obvious to anyone who listed to or watched him.

I spent a very pleasant hour with Charles in his shop in March. He was extremely friendly and helpful, and introduced me to the world of oud fragrances. I really enjoyed my time with him. I'm sure he was much loved by many. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Thank you for posting this sad news. When I first started using a brush and quality creams as part of my shaving routine in 2001, there weren't many resources that I could find to help the new "quality" wet shaver. I found Enchante when I was looking for information and corresponded with Charles several times concerning technique and different products. I asked some really silly beginner questions ("do I need a separate brush for different creams?"), and he always answered them patiently and pleasantly, never once making me feel like a bother or a moron. His passion in this area was evident and inspiring. I bought some Trumper products from him early on, but lost touch over the years. I am grateful for the small but very important role he played in my shaving journey, and wish his family and friends comfort in their time of sorrow.

Very sad indeed. I credit Charles with getting me into wet shaving after reading a few of his articles. I still use some of his Hydrolast products and a modified version of his technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only joined here at B&B recently and am saddened to see this. When visiting my in-laws in Austin over Thanksgiving weekend 2013, I stopped by Enchanté and spoke to Charles for a good hour or so.

He was a passionate guy but faultlessly courteous and indeed warm and humorous. I can understand why he and his system were controversial, but simply as a person, he struck me as a wonderful chap, the sort I would have been proud to have among my acquaintances if I lived in the area and got to know him.

Rest in peace, sir.

Top Bottom