What's new

Parker pens.

Am I the only one or one of a very small clique that doesn't like these pens? I understand their appeal and why they are coveted by enthusiasts but they just don't "do it" for me. Even if a Parker was the perfect writer for me I could not bring myself to carry one. It is mostly how ugly I think the pen looks, mostly those hideous caps. I know I have a very unpopular opinion of these pens. But it is how I feel and I don't think I will ever change my mind on it.

Is it the nostalgia, their quality or what, that drives you to these pens?

strop

Now half as wise
Which Parkers are you talking about?
9k=
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm not a big fan of some of the newer Parkers, but the vintage ones are great writers. But in the end it is whatever appeals to you. I'm probably missing out on some great writing pens because I do not like demonstrators. And I can't stand the looks of the Lamy, though my son swears by them.

Which Parkers are you talking about?

proxy.php

I'm not a big fan of some of the newer Parkers, but the vintage ones are great writers. But in the end it is whatever appeals to you. I'm probably missing out on some great writing pens because I do not like demonstrators. And I can't stand the looks of the Lamy, though my son swears by them.

Yeah should have put down which ones I dislike. It's the one I singled out in bunch. I understand they can be great writers, I just can't understand the appeal is all. I guess for me it's the more modern or simple, so to speak pens I like. I really like demonstrators, something about seeing all the workings and ink the pen is very pleasing to me. A Lamy Safari is very pleasing to me as well.

As you say though it is all the matter of ones opinion.

It's that cap, that really does it to me. The pen itself is simple looking which I like but the whole package just looks cheap to me.

They're not for everyone. When I first got into fps, I didn't get it either. I thought they were boring, ugly pens. Much preferred inlaid or open nibs. At some point, something clicked & they turned into what is probably my favorite.

to each his or her own, i own a few parkers, and i liked the 51 from the start, but i also like odd things, so pretty much anything with an inlay, flush or hooded nib i like. you hear alot about the 51s because most everyone has at least one.

The 51 design is one that had to grow on me. I think I get what you're saying. It looks like cheap plastic with a rather plain metal cap. But then you realize it's not cheap plastic at all. These pens were built to be used and to last. They're not flashy and today they look a bit retro. But those are all things I like about them now.

I carry around a Hero 616 pretty often which is more or less a 51 clone. It is cheap plastic and not made to last quite as long. But the good thing about it is if anyone notices me using it and asks about it I'll let them try it out. If they like it I'll just give it to them. Great way to make FP converts :)

I think that for many of us, the appearance of a pen is decidedly secondary. If a pen does "do it for me" as a writer, then it would have to be incredibly hideous for me not to use it. And the plain, functional look of Parker's hooded nib models is very far from my idea of ugly in any case. If they get used less often, it's because I have other pens which are better as writers. The two hooded nib Parkers that I like best are a 45 and a 61, but I still prefer my vintage Sheaffers and Watermans, and my modern Pilots, among others.

And then there are other Parker designs. To me, this Vacumatic is quite good looking.

But there's something for everyone, and with the size of some of our collections, even an embarrassment of riches. :thumbup1:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My attraction to the P51 is not it's looks but the way it writes. As far as looks I will take my Big Red or my Shadow Wave any day. The 51 out performs them though.

My two Parker 45s are okay, nothing spectacular. I haven't tried a 51, but I might at some point.

I absolutely enjoy my 75 Ciselle though, especially since I had the broad nib custom ground to a cursive italic. It is a great writer for me, and I think the sterling silver looks sharp! I also enjoy the smaller, textured barrel, which makes for comfortable writing.

$potd_20150918.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of Parker pens. I do not see the appeal of the 51s or 45s. Personally I think they are overpriced.

They have a huge following and many loyal collectors. The great thing about fountain pens is the great variety of brands to chose from.

...I absolutely enjoy my 75 Ciselle though, especially since I had the broad nib custom ground to a cursive italic. It is a great writer for me, and I think the sterling silver looks sharp! I also enjoy the smaller, textured barrel, which makes for comfortable writing.

View attachment 622430

I have one. Who did your grind? I need a fine point but mine is a medium. Also, what polish do you use? Mine is very tarnished.

I have one. Who did your grind? I need a fine point but mine is a medium. Also, what polish do you use? Mine is very tarnished.

I used Letty at Pendemonium (see link). She has over 50 years of experience, and is inexpensive to boot!

I haven't polished mine yet, and I would be interested to know what other guys recommends. I don't even have a silver polishing cloth to use.

Like you, I can't stand Parkers. There are only three models (vacumatic, "falcon" 50s, and ellipse) that I think are attractive and two of those still write like crap. The only one that writes even passably well is the 50- most likely because it has a nib unlike any other Parker (save the T1). I also like the looks of one specific model of 45, the Harlequin. But it also writes very, very poorly; ALL hooded or semi-hooded nibs are very bad performers in my experience and opinion.

I have been playing/collecting pens for a few years now. None of the Parkers have disappointed me in the way they write. The pen I have had the longest is an old 51 my father had back in the late 40's, still all original, never needing any work to make it write or fill. It is one of the aeromatic fillers. I have since gotten duofolds, one dating back to the late 1920's some the new reproduction models, vacumatics, a couple of the 75's a 61 and a sonnet . They all write as they should. All that said my favorites are Pelikan's and are usually my daily writers.

I think that for many of us, the appearance of a pen is decidedly secondary. If a pen does "do it for me" as a writer, then it would have to be incredibly hideous for me not to use it. And the plain, functional look of Parker's hooded nib models is very far from my idea of ugly in any case. If they get used less often, it's because I have other pens which are better as writers. The two hooded nib Parkers that I like best are a 45 and a 61, but I still prefer my vintage Sheaffers and Watermans, and my modern Pilots, among others.

And then there are other Parker designs. To me, this Vacumatic is quite good looking.

But there's something for everyone, and with the size of some of our collections, even an embarrassment of riches. :thumbup1:

That is not a bad looking pen.

Sorry you do not like these pens. I have had some very nice ones over the years. Currently enjoying my sonnet. Obviously YMMV!

Top Bottom