I won't buy anything week.

Yesterday (okay, so technically this is from last week but :001_tongu ) I went to L'Occitane and purchased the L'Occitan A/S balm (very nice A/S IMO) and some of the Ice Hand Cream Gel w/ organic Verbena extract (okay not really shave related, but my hands are dry).

I really did not want to buy anything this week, and probably wouldn't have but for Suzuki's siren song of TedPella! Yes 3 * 141-1, 60 sharp blades a coming my way.

guenron said:
I really did not want to buy anything this week, and probably wouldn't have but for Suzuki's siren song of TedPella! Yes 3 * 141-1, 60 sharp blades a coming my way.

Ron, I suspect that this may be as close as you ever come to not buying anything!:biggrin:

Hope the blades live up to the review - they've also gotten good initial revies at SMF.

I just received my new Muhle & Pinsel 23mm silvertip, and a tub of Taylor's Avocado cream. I am very impressed wth the fit and finish of the M&P, it must weigh at least twice as much as my 23mm Shavemac. Here are some pic's of my new beauty.:biggrin:
Cheers, DJ.

Suzuki said:
Ron, I suspect that this may be as close as you ever come to not buying anything!:biggrin:

Hope the blades live up to the review - they've also gotten good initial revies at SMF.
I am really looking forward to trying them. Got a good chuckle out of Gordo. As always, "who makes them?" I believe microtome blades are typically an order of magnitude sharper than shaving kit.. Now all I have to do is wait patiently till Thursday..:w00t: :tongue_sm

TNT rang the door.

small package. my agent sent me.

80 more blades of 7am
300 blades of Sharp.

mind you these are not the Sharp's Ron talks about dont know what his are probably injectors if not then Houstong we have a (C) problem on our hands.

guenron said:
I am really looking forward to trying them. Got a good chuckle out of Gordo. As always, "who makes them?" I believe microtome blades are typically an order of magnitude sharper than shaving kit.. Now all I have to do is wait patiently till Thursday..:w00t: :tongue_sm

I hope they live up to the review - it will be good to hear your views as you have a better frame of reference than I.

Even if the blades are only good for 3 - 4 shaves, they're still a great deal. As for who makes them, I don't care if pygmies in a remote village in Bora Bora - as long as they shave well.

If microtome blades can cross-section samples for electron microscopes, they're sharp enough to shave with!

The RAD continues unabated - I scored the following from the same vendor for a grand total of $10 plus shipping:

View attachment 1369

View attachment 1370

Anyone know anything about the second razor - I think its a form of adjustible injector, but the vendor was selling it as a buy it now for $6 and had one of the M models for something like $50 or $60. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a bid in on a J model injector.

Given the controversy over the Nationwide Campus razors and the cost of shipping to Canada, I have decided to buy a couple of old injectors on e-bay instead - I'm loving the G1 model I got last week.

I also got two GEMs and an Ever-Ready - all NIB for about $10 each, inlcuding a micromatic in the Bakelite case.

One of the GEMs was a "minuteman" model that came with a nickel plated brass stand that could be either put on the counter or screwed into the wall -the razor sits in a central slot with compartments for new and used blades on either side. The razor came with instructions, an advertising pamphlet and the screw provided by the manufacturer to attach the stand to the wall. A very interesting and well-made piece of kit - I generally buy to use, but I may keep this one in its pristine state - especially since I have other GEMs to try.

Here's a picture:

View attachment 1371

Suzuki said:
I hope they live up to the review - it will be good to hear your views as you have a better frame of reference than I.

Even if the blades are only good for 3 - 4 shaves, they're still a great deal. As for who makes them, I don't care if pygmies in a remote village in Bora Bora - as long as they shave well.

If microtome blades can cross-section samples for electron microscopes, they're sharp enough to shave with!
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
I wonder if I am getting the Bora Bora gothic edges or the Vuanu Attu wedge? My goodness this is exciting! I have to agree 100%. I don't recall if I mentioned, but I have some 30+ year old Personna twin edge injectors enroute from a Detroit eBayer.. So this will be something to relish.:w00t:

Suzuki said:

Not for electron microscopes - these are blades for histological sectioning and staining for light microscopes in general. Electron microscopes (specifically transmission scopes as opposed to scanning scopes) require sections to either be cut on fractioned glass (cheaper) or diamond knives (nice!). You won't be using those for shaving. :eek:

Dennis

Mike02 said:
Not for electron microscopes - these are blades for histological sectioning and staining for light microscopes in general. Electron microscopes (specifically transmission scopes as opposed to scanning scopes) require sections to either be cut on fractioned glass (cheaper) or diamond knives (nice!). You won't be using those for shaving. :eek:

Dennis

As you can tell, I'm not in the science field - but I bet if you could make a razor out of this stuff it would be a damn fine shaver!

guenron said:
How about the saphire blades???:w00t:

Reaching back here (warning - boring sciency cap is now on)... When it comes to sectioning embedded tissues for this kind of stuff, there are various preparation methods depending on the final medium to be viewed on. Tissues to be viewed on light-based microscopes do not have to be very "thin" compared to tranmission electron scopes (TEM) where electrons act as the "light" beam and magnets are the lenses instead of visible light and glass lenses. You can roughly section tissues using steel blades (like what we are talking about here). This is for most histological or pathological applications like in hospitals. You can get thinner sections (ie. say 6-10 um or micrometer thick) when you need, say, a slightly higher resolution like in immunohistochemistry. For this, you can use glass knives which are made by "free breaking" on special instruments very pure, floated glass rectanglar strips like in a previous link I gave. The edge does not hold very long on these glass knives (maybe a day or two before the glass flows and makes them dull) so you need to make them as needed and they are good for just a sample or two or three. Alternatively, you could use sapphire blades which are more permanent but much more expensive - they need replacing only if damaged or worn down after some 1000s of sections.

Alternatively, samples for TEM require a different preparation because the resolution is so high (nanometers versus tens to hundreds of micrometers for light) and the stains used to view the tissue are heavy metals like lead as opposed to colored dyes for light. The tissues for TEM need to be around 60-75 nanometers (yes, nano) thick - they are incredibly thin and are floated off onto water and picked up on special grids. You can cut these on glass or diamond knives in the same analogy as above. You tell the thickness of the sections by the reflected color.

This was all just a blast from the past when people started talking about ordering shaving stuff from old, familiar science vendors. :biggrin:

Dennis

I picked up a 8oz jar of caswell-massey 1752 sandalwood cream for $5 at Tuesday Mornings. And my Gillette tech I bought on ebay for $12 w/shipping got here today. I plan on having fun tomorrow

Top Bottom