What's new

Robusta

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
One seldom hears of Robusta beans in the advertising coffee. Are there blends that you enjoy that include the full bodied intense taste of Robusta beans?

One seldom hears of Robusta beans in the advertising coffee. Are there blends that you enjoy that include the full bodied intense taste of Robusta beans?

Funny, I saw a guy at the grocery store wearing a Death Wish Coffee T-shirt today.
I like the way Lavvazza blends it in their espresso, but I don't think I've ever bought 100% Robusta

It does seem that Robusta has a bad reputation, since it is rarely mentioned, except maybe in some espresso blends. I usually get single origin coffee, so don't drink it that often.

I'm not really sure. Robusta usually means inferior to me. Thats probably not 100% right. It is very resistant to disease, has a higher crop yield (and higher caffeine), which is the reason its a higher consittuent of cheap coffee.

It's sometimes in Italian espresso blends and even American ones too, primarily because it's supposed to enhance crema. I have never cared for robusta even in small amounts in a blend. It does have more caffeine.

Robusta adds a nice bottom end to an espresso blend. I used to roast it when I blended my espresso

Lately I have been wowed by some SO Rwandan that has that same bottom end bite when taken to a rolling second crack but it is a SO Arabica.

proxy.php

I mostly use Lavazza Rossa, because I like it and it is cheap and convenient. It is 30% robusta. Definitely prefer it over Lavazza Oro which is 100% Arabica and is more expensive.

Obviously there may be other factors than the mix of beans. But Rossa is fuller and smoother, to me.

I mostly use Lavazza Rossa, because I like it and it is cheap and convenient. It is 30% robusta. Definitely prefer it over Lavazza Oro which is 100% Arabica and is more expensive.

Obviously there may be other factors than the mix of beans. But Rossa is fuller and smoother, to me.

I like the Rossa as well, the blend does add a bit of bite. However, the Oro are still my preferred beans, the taste is mellower and sweeter, to me at least.

Er, actually the bag I am on now says 60% robusta, but I did find a picture online with 30% indicated.

Good for espresso, yes.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Since my grinder was out of service last week I tried a couple of the Lavazza Blends. I enjoyed their Crema e Gusto very much. I bought it at a store with high turn over (deepest darkest Woodbridge Ontario for those who know the area). In fact they were just restocking the shelf when I arrived. It turns out that my favourite roaster (Dark City) adds some Robusta to their espresso blend.

I guess they change the blend as they go, because my 60% robusta variety of Lavazza Rossa was bought in Canada as well. Or perhaps the blend at No Frills is just less posh than elsewhere, go figure.

I like the Crema e Gusto too, but have only ever seen it preground. Around $3.99 to $4.59 for 250g, last I checked (same as the Red).

Since my grinder was out of service last week I tried a couple of the Lavazza Blends. I enjoyed their Crema e Gusto very much.

Got this on Saturday for the first time and fried it, wow it has a dark flavor to it, it's not a bad coffee, just right in your face but with good flavors.

Top Bottom