What's new

Question on The Feather "No-Sharpen" Straight Razor

Is this comparable to a traditional Straight?? Would you recommend this for a Noob to straights?? How does it compare to the Ustura? Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

It's a fine razor. Go lightly, and you can get a great shave. It's somewhat different from regular straights-- it's much sharper. I don't know what a Ustura is.

Ustura is a company that makes a shavette style razor. you hold it like a straight but it uses DE blades.

Neither the DE blade holding kind nor the feather shave exactly like a real straight, but they are close. The handling is roughly the same, but the quality of the shave is a little different. This is my experience, as usual YMMV.

I would say if you want to use a straight use a straight. If you don't want to hassle with hones and strops and all that get a feather. The feather uses a dedicated removable blade. Some of the others like the shavette use a DE type blade which you break in half. I think the feather is much better quality and more like a straight in feel but either way its still a very different experience than using a straight.

Thank you all for the advice!! Greatly appreciated. A fellow member was kind enough to send be a ready to shave loaner for me to try out. I am currently studying with alacrity so I can ask some informed questions as the time nears for my first str8 shave.

Thanks to all!!

Kind Regards,

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I did a review of the Feather AC a while ago, and linked in all the most usefull threads discussing the Feather there. Those could be some interesting reading.

I gave traditional straights a go and it was frustrating for me. None of the blades I tried seemed sharp enough even having them honed by pros.

So my last stab at straight shaving was recently picking up a non-folding DX. Wow, sharpness is no longer an issue! I'm still getting the hang of it after about 10 shaves, the moustache area is really the only part I haven't figured out 100% yet.

The first couple of outings with a pro blade were bloodbaths. Oddly enough the supposedly more aggressive pro super blades don't nick me at all unless I slip up.

Wickedly sharp!

A feather is very sharp but the super pros are great for me too. Now that I am using a straight I have put the feather in the drawer except for maybe a quick touch up from something I may have missed with my straight.I have the RG non-folding model and love it.It has been about 1 1/2 months now and I don't see myself going back to a DE.I like the fact that a straight is not as sharp as a feather. I have to try real hard to cut myself with my straight as compared to a feather. With my feather any mistake at all can draw blood.

Top Bottom