What's new

Maggard Closed Comb v3

Maggard recently released a third version of their closed comb head. They claim no alignment issues and the finish is much improved. They have moved away from the Merkur style head and moved toward the Edwin Jagger style head.

I ordered one because I can't resist a $20 razor with a quality stainless handle and I'm a big fan of their also recently released second version open comb head. I'm guessing that very few have received this razor yet, but let us know when you do! I'll be back after I receive mine to provide some feedback.

I have been eyeing their new heads for about a week now. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. These seem to be the same heads that Italian Barber are currently selling.

I stopped paying attention to IB razors when some of them started shipping with iKon handles. Nothing against IB by any means, but I'd rather use the Dollar Shave Club than use an iKon product.

I received the v3 with MR11 handle yesterday. Since this is a gift for someone I wont be able to provide feedback on shave experience. It does look and feel nice especially for the price. Here's to hoping the v3 with convert a cartridge shaver to DE. :thumbup1:

I placed an order yesterday for a v3A and a v3 head from Maggard Razors. I really like that the prices are below $8. I also saw a post that they lowered the price of their razors, which made me take a look. I'm incredibly excited to have the heads arrive and test them out myself.

Here are the links for the v3A and v3 heads for those that are interested...

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-v3a-aggressive-closed-comb-safety-razor-head/

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-closed-comb-safety-razor-head-v3/

That v3a looks really interesting let us know how aggressive it really is penknight

The v3 head that maggard now offers is the edwin jagger/muhle r89 head. Same exact head. I got one from ib. The v3a head is also sold at ib. I have it and have used it a few times. It;s aggressive, probably as aggressive as my muhle r41, but not aggressive as my ikon shavecraft tech. The finish on the v3a is pretty good considering what you pay for it and the v3 finish will be very good as it's an edwin jagger/muhle89 head.

What's your objection to Ikon? I have one of their handles and it is fine. Did i miss some controversy.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but iKon Razors is a banned vendor here at B&B and for good reason. If you ever need customer service from the owner, Greg, you'll find out why for yourself.

I'm excited to try this new Maggard razor!

The v3 head that maggard now offers is the edwin jagger/muhle r89 head. Same exact head. I got one from ib. The v3a head is also sold at ib. I have it and have used it a few times. It;s aggressive, probably as aggressive as my muhle r41, but not aggressive as my ikon shavecraft tech. The finish on the v3a is pretty good considering what you pay for it and the v3 finish will be very good as it's an edwin jagger/muhle89 head.
What is the name of the razor head from IB that is the same as the v3a is it the mentor?

What is the name of the razor head from IB that is the same as the v3a is it the mentor?

Yes, that's correct. The mentor head is the v3a head, except it's gun metal. Maggard and IB sell the same razor heads just under different names. I would also like to add that the stainless steel handle that comes with these heads sold on ib come with a special edition ikon stainless steel handle which is probably one of the best stainless steel handles you can get.

I prefer to give my business to Maggard Razors over many others out there, especially after dealing with them on the phone. Their prices are reasonable, and in the past even beat a few other dealers on a certain brush that I was looking for.

I'll happily leave my thoughts here after I have the chance to try out both heads a few times. I'm also hoping to get one of the new versions of their open comb head at some point, if I can find a good reason to pick it up. ;-)

I prefer to give my business to Maggard Razors over many others out there.
Me too. I've ordered from them a couple times and been impressed by:
1. Quick shipping for a mom and pop operation.
2. Awesome soap and cream sample coverage. I can sample most major players and avoid risking money on full tubs I may not like.
3. Awesome DE blade sampling. I don't know of anywhere else offering a make your own DE sample pack of 10 blade types, where you pick what blades you want. They had a very large selection, only missing a couple notables that I could see.

I'm new to wetshaving, but as I tried to get into it I kept finding myself drawn to these services few others provide, and they are generally my go to online store now.

I love my Maggard MR6 with the v2 head and it is my daily shaver. I will try the v3 head (on my mr1 handle) and give a review when I have used it for a week or so. Love anything Maggard and they are pretty much the only ones I order from anymore. Excellet service and great products.

I imagine the V3 head paired with an MR5 handle would be the ideal choice for me.
My favorite razor right now is a de89 paired with a Scotch and stowe wave handle which is similar to an MR5 handle.
I got these back when Scotch and stowe sold razors for $16 and even less for a slight blemish on the handle on the bay.
They have now gone up in price the last I checked amazon.

The added weight to the de89 head made the mild Edwin jagger a bit more aggressive which is the ideal razor for me.

I'm glad they now sell a de89, r89 head paired with a stainless steel handle, don't have to buy two different razors one for the head and the other for the handle which I use to do.

I now have a few shaves under my belt with the Maggard v3 closes comb on an MR18 handle. First off, this handle is simply fantastic. One of the best I've used.

In terms of aggressiveness, I would rate this head slightly less aggressive than the Edwin Jagger or even RazoRock Mission head, but highly efficient. It mowed down a week old goatee like it was nothing.

The fit and finish is excellent compared to previous versions and the claim of nonexistent alignment issues is, indeed, true. I've had zero alignment issues with a few blades. It's like putting a blade in a Merkur 34C/38C. You know it's going to be perfect every time.

Overall, I'm thoroughly pleased and consider this razor, priced at $20, to be an outright steal. Good job, Maggard!

Top Bottom