What's new

Horse hair ?

i´ve noticed some shops have horse hair brushes,

anyone checked those out ?

I haven't checked out any new horse hair brushes but I do have my great grandfathers horse hair from the turn of the century. It is stiff ( I imagine age) but when I soak it in hot water and add a little conditioner, it softens right up nicely. I have only used it once again because of its age.

A great face scubbing brush for sure.

They were documented vectors for the transmission of Anthrax in the US military. I don't know if they were banned or just fell into disuse. I think I might have one, but I'm not sure.

Think that the anthrax transmission may have caused brush manufacturers to begin sterilizing horsehair for their products?
I know that drafting brushes and quite a few of the neck dusters that the barbers use are sterilized horsehair.

Think that the anthrax transmission may have caused brush manufacturers to begin sterilizing horsehair for their products?
I know that drafting brushes and quite a few of the neck dusters that the barbers use are sterilized horsehair.

Yes, the discovery during WWI that the horsehair brushes were the cause of anthrax transmission lead to mfrs introducing sterilization of the shave brush. Use of horsehair for shave brushes dramatically diminished, as well.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom