What's new

Stainless Steel Types, Confused?

Hi,

What interests me about Wolfman is that James will make what you want out of what you want. So, if I want 304 instead of 316, that is fine. Or, even better, Titanium. :)

Stan

I'd be interested to see if he does a titanium razor. It is notoriously difficult to machine and has a propensity for going up in flames.

James has indeed machined a titanium Wolfman razor. A member on another forum was the lucky recipient. I don't know how many titanium razor James has made in all or if he will continue to offer them, but he is indeed an artist.

At the suggestion of a reader from DFS, I mailed the same email to Ikon Razors (adjusted to show them as the only recipient.) Response was super fast and here it is:

Hello Roger:

When time permits for us to machine some special edition iKon
razors we like using 316L stainless steel as it's properties are very
conducive to producing what many may call 'art razors' i.e. fully
functional safety razors but worthy of collecting.

316L is a very high grade of rust resistant stainless steel that
although very hard to machine polishes very nicely. If you are looking
for something of this nature the only thing even remotely close to the
attached images of some of our 316L machine work is a Canadian company
called Wolfman razors http://wolfmanrazors.com/ , their attention to
detail is impeccable and honestly there is absolutely nothing on the
market even close to what they are producing. We simply do not have
the required time for special runs currently and you may want to look
into that brand if a "machined" razor is something you would like to
gift to someone.

You will want to look at how the machining or cutting marks are
cleaned up on these types of razors as some 'machined razors' on offer
are a horror show left loaded with machine marks on all the exposed
component parts and that can easily cause pitting and rusting and use
much less lower grades of stainless steel that are cheaper and easier
to machine.

Alternatively we produce and focus currently on user friendly razors,
designed to be used for the task at hand and our diversity of designs
are unmatched so you may also consider iKon as a professionally
engineered and professionally manufactured safety razor product line.

If so here is a link to our worldwide authorized vendors.

http://ikonrazors.com/faqs/

Cheers,

- iKon Razors

This response really cuts to the heart of the issue. As ikon points out none of these makers really compete directly.

To wit:
Wolf is a pure artisan product, ATT is a high end consumer collector product, and ikon strives to be a high end consumer product. Within their stated market segment these makers are the best there is....bar none.

Until I read these comments it was unclear to me just what the difference was between these razors. Now that it is clear that these makers don't compete instead they complement each others market offerings it makes the choice between them easier. I can also take heart that there will always be , not a better razor to buy, but a different ideology of razor choice.

I wouldn't mind seeing the tool marks cleaned up off the ATT razors. I also had some filings on mine I had to clean up.

This response really cuts to the heart of the issue. As ikon points out none of these makers really compete directly.

To wit:
Wolf is a pure artisan product, ATT is a high end consumer collector product, and ikon strives to be a high end consumer product. Within their stated market segment these makers are the best there is....bar none.

Until I read these comments it was unclear to me just what the difference was between these razors. Now that it is clear that these makers don't compete instead they complement each others market offerings it makes the choice between them easier. I can also take heart that there will always be , not a better razor to buy, but a different ideology of razor choice.

+1. Nice summary IMO. These guys have sliced things up nicely to provide us with good range of options!:thumbup1:

I'd be interested to see if he does a titanium razor. It is notoriously difficult to machine and has a propensity for going up in flames.

James has indeed machined a titanium Wolfman razor. A member on another forum was the lucky recipient. I don't know how many
titanium razor James has made in all or if he will continue to offer them, but he is indeed an artist.

Indeed, see some pictures of my Titanium Wolfman here and with Ti stand here.

Last edited:
Isn't 400 series aka "Automotive" stainless? That is a grade that does rust a lot easier than 300 series, if my memory isn't completely out to lunch.

You are right, however,

"Its best corrosion resistance is achieved when 420 is hardened and surface ground or polished. In the hardened condition, 420 has good corrosion resistance to the atmosphere, foods, fresh water, mild alkalies and acids, steam, sterilizing solutions, crude oil, gasoline, and other similar corrosive media."

It's used for surgical implements and what is shaving if not minor surgery? I figured it's a more macho alloy and some would demand it.

I think I'd like a tungsten carbide razor. Can the Wolfman do wolfram ?

Indeed, see some pictures of my Titanium Wolfman here and with Ti stand here.

He did a nice job on that head.

You are right, however,

"Its best corrosion resistance is achieved when 420 is hardened and surface ground or polished. In the hardened condition, 420 has good corrosion resistance to the atmosphere, foods, fresh water, mild alkalies and acids, steam, sterilizing solutions, crude oil, gasoline, and other similar corrosive media."

It's used for surgical implements and what is shaving if not minor surgery? I figured it's a more macho alloy and some would demand it.

I think I'd like a tungsten carbide razor. Can the Wolfman do wolfram ?

I think the most macho steel would be 2205 Duplex or just make it out of K-monel.

Last edited:
Hey, Roger, great thread. :thumbup: Thanks for obtaining clear explanations on SS grades from the makers of two of the most desirable modern safety razors on the market.

Although I have two of Stan's ATT stainless razors, my all-time favorite DE razor material is bronze, having owned a UFO bronze handle for a couple of years. Naturally I have my eye on Stan's new bronze Atlas sets, but am having a hard time justifying the expenditure since the only one of the three heads that I would actually use is the H1, and most of the time I would jettison the base plate. But stainless is definitely a close second. And if Jack would make a devette base plate, I would definitely jump at the opportunity to own one or two of his razors. (I broached the idea with Stan, who seemed intrigued but never followed through, probably because he has bigger fish to fry.)

Cheers!

Top Bottom