What's new

How do you think about Haslinger Schafmilch vs. Tabac

I tried to like Haslinger Schafmilch more, but it is a bit hard for me.
These two soaps are face to face competitors.
I find I can not load Haslinger Schafmilch as easy as Tabac.
Moreover, I can not get a slick lather from Haslinger Schafmilch.
Please give me some advices.
Thanks a lot.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
+1 above. I've got both soaps and love them. I find them both very easy to lather. Try using a stiffer brush with some of your harder lathering soaps and see how that works out. A stiffer brush would be a boar or pure badger.

I had the same problem with Schafmilch. After a 30-45 second load (I load heavily), add more water than you think. It's a very thirsty soap. You will be rewarded.

Is this a fair comparison?

I think that Haslinger Schafmilch is much more similar to MWF than either of them is to Tabac.

(TBT: I have never used Schafmilch ... just going on what I've read about it.)

If you are having trouble lathering Schafmilch(which seems hard to believe) try grating it into a jar to load. I grated my puck into a glass tub and it is one of the easiest soaps to lather.....Comparing it to Tabac seems odd as I dont find them all that similar

If you are having trouble lathering Schafmilch(which seems hard to believe) try grating it into a jar to load. I grated my puck into a glass tub and it is one of the easiest soaps to lather.....Comparing it to Tabac seems odd as I dont find them all that similar
This is what I did to make MWF work for me.

+1 I find Haslinger to be one of the easiest soaps to lather and one of the best all-around soaps. Good luck.

You are comparing two excellent soaps.

IME Haslinger's loves water! I prefer Haslinger's options to Tabac because I prefer the mild scents. Tabac also lathers very well.

After several shaves with Haslinger, I backed Tabac soap last night.
Tabac beats Haslinger.
I love traditional scent, and Tabac is easier to get rich/slicky lather.
Of course, it YMMV.

I had the same problem with Schafmilch. After a 30-45 second load (I load heavily), add more water than you think. It's a very thirsty soap. You will be rewarded.

+1 Schafmilch is one of the slickest soaps around. If you're not getting enough slickness from it you're not incorporating enough water into your lather. Simple as that.

Both companies really know how to make a soap that generates extravagant, creamy lather. I love both and find both to consistently deliver a great 4 pass shave. Tabac has an additional surfactant that helps in building lather in somewhat harder water and makes it somewhat easier to lather, but both lather easily for hard soaps. One thing I really enjoy about Haslinger's is that it never seems to dry out while shaving and never dries my skin afterwards, but both are extremely protective and provide top tier performance. I've spent a lot more for soaps that didn't provide the quality that both of these provide. I refuse to say one is better than the other and both are in my top 10.

Two excellent soaps. IME Haslinger's are very THIRSTY soaps!

Once you figure out the best ratio of soap to water there is NO contest IMO! Haslinger's for me! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom