What's new

Nice meeting you fellow gentlemen!

Hello fellow gentlemen!

I thought I would just say hello to you all since I'm new at this site! First of all, I'm a swede so please excuse my poor English!

I'm 46 years old and have been wet shaving since I started to grow bristles, except for one year when I did my military service and tried a machine. :thumbdown Anyhow. My way in to DE-shaving from cartridge shaving actually started, maybe ten or fifteen years ago, when I was tired of the canned foam. I didn't like the waste it produced so I started to use soaps and creams with a brush. Can't remember why, but suddenly I had also bought a Merkur future to match my new equipment. I have always used the Futur cranked up to number 6 with a Feather.

Since I am an archaeologist I love antiques, but I still think that it should be useful things. So I looked for an old shaving tool that could compare to the Futur, but at the same time would be less clumsy. I found the Gillette slim! Beautiful! I shaved with that for a couple of months, but after a while I had to realise that it wasn't aggressive enough. Not even on the setting no 9 with a Feather and shimmed. So now I have fallen in love with a Gillette Goodwill #160 open tooth comb (picture below). This, on the other hand, is a little bit to aggressive to the neck. Otherwise perfect! So, gentlemen who has had the kindness to read my post this far, I have a question.

Since I'm in love with my Goodwill, is there a vintage Gillette that is as beautiful, but slightly less aggressive than the Goodwill, that you could recommend? Or should I use an other blade. I have tested the Gillette platinum and the Derby and I think that they aren't as good as the Feather. I'm using Taylor of Old Bond Street and are going to try the Cella shave soap when I get it in the mailbox.

Thank you for reading!

/DrHafu

$20151202_091541.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Welcome to B&B, DrHafu. Good to have you here. The Futur is the only razor I use, I don't think it can get any better. A good place to ask is in the DE subforum under Safety Razors.
No need to excuse your English, it's better than many native speakers

Welcome! Your English is superb. I had a Dutch-born English teacher in High School and he told me, and I'm thoroughly convinced, that those who learn English by the book as a 2nd language are much better speakers and writers than those who are born into it.

I am a fan of the Personna Med Prep blades. While not quite as sharp as the feather, they are sharper than most others. I believe they are a bit smoother, especially on the first couple of shaves. (Everyone's beard is different so YMMV).
Welcome to B&B! As others have mentioned, your English is very good. Hope to see your comments in the future.

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried an old type? They are not as aggressive as the Futur, but I really like mine and tend toward aggressive razors.

Thank you for your good advice! And yeah, the Futur is a really nice razor! A little bit clumsy for me though. And I can't resist a good looking vintage Gillette!

/John

The above answer was for you captp. And MpMinNY, the Personna med prep seems to be great! I will try to get hold of them from outside of the USA. Otherwise the postage will be more than the blades...

And to all of you, thanks for welcoming me! What a nice community!

Hi Parjay! Yes, I have tried the Old type. Very nice, but similar in aggressivnes to the Goodwill i think. I have now ordered a pack of Personnas, so I'll give it a new go!

😊

Top Bottom