What's new

Need More Tallow

After using vintage soaps for the past few days all I have to say is...I got a fever, and the only prescription is...more tallow!

$image.jpg

Which soaps have you been using?

My personal tallow favorite is Haslinger. Not vintage, but to me it's the perfect soap!

The tallow soaps in my rotation: MWF, Tabac, DR Harris, Cella. All good ones (listed in order of my preference, at the moment...). I've found that I really prefer tallow soaps over veggies.

Which soaps have you been using?

My personal tallow favorite is Haslinger. Not vintage, but to me it's the perfect soap!

Jessy, there are so many great tallow-based soap. Personally, I really enjoy quite a few of the artisanal ones, such as Mystic Water, Mike's, Cold River, Shannon's and Haslinger, just to name a few.

Jessy, there are so many great tallow-based soap. Personally, I really enjoy quite a few of the artisanal ones, such as Mystic Water, Mike's, Cold River, Shannon's and Haslinger, just to name a few.

I agree whole-heartedly! I find many artisan soaps tend to burn my face though. Not so badly that I never use them, but enough that I won't use them back to back days.

Green Mountain does not get much mention be I can tell you its a great tallow triple milled soap and chemical free. Its one of my favorites

Green Mountain does not get much mention be I can tell you its a great tallow triple milled soap and chemical free. Its one of my favorites
Probably pedantic but the "chemical free" thing gets thrown around a lot. All soap is made up of chemicals as we all are. At its most basic (if you'll pardon the pun) soap is the organic salt of a fatty acid and a base. Not many would be happy shaving with only that salt. Extra fats are added to keep the skin from drying out. Scents are added. EDTA is added to effectively soften the water and let the soap lather better. Additional chemicals may be used to prevent the oxidation of any residual or added fats and oils. Additional glycerin (beyond what is created as a byproduct of saponification) may be added as a humectant to hold more moisture in your skin.

My water varies in hardness as the water district switches between surface and well sources. And yes, I can tell that some soaps start to not work as well in the winter when the switch to more well water occurs.

If you like GM (and they seem well regarded) then go ahead and I certainly don't mean to criticize them. I am a bit leary of any company that touts itself as "all natural". Mercury and Arsenic are naturally occurring.

I should add that the main reason we're so stuck on tallow is stearic acid. You can actually source stearic from vegetable sources, but tallow is a cheap source of it and oleic acid. When I look at soaps, tallow or stearic (or the salt Potassium/sodium stearate) better be first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom