What's new

One Year, One Brand for 2016

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
One brand. You kids and your silly games. :tongue_sm

Eventually, I will get around to tackling one soap.

but not 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Why settle for one stick?
proxy.php

If I wasn't moving next year, I'd be in with all of my Caties Bubbles. But with an impending move around the July / August time frame, I'm looking to reduce my stash as much as possible. As such, I'll be making 2016 the year of Indian shave creams, as I should be able to knock out a bunch of the 15+ tubes real quickly if I stay committed.

I'll still be following along!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
1. mikeschu - Haslinger
2. brucered - Haslinger
3. brianw - SCS
4. Madscotsman - B&M
5. snowman - Haslinger
6. Haggises - Mystic Water
7. MDV39 - Mikes
8. _Brad - Arko
9. pax238 - CRSW
10. vtmax - Haslinger
11. martym - Stirling

If I wasn't moving next year, I'd be in with all of my Caties Bubbles. But with an impending move around the July / August time frame, I'm looking to reduce my stash as much as possible. As such, I'll be making 2016 the year of Indian shave creams, as I should be able to knock out a bunch of the 15+ tubes real quickly if I stay committed.

I'll still be following along!

Woudnt that count?

Thanks for the shoutout and I wish you guys all the best in your endeavour.

I am still very much a follower of the johnniegold 3017 method but I think that the only soap which I have enough of at the moment to complete a year of shaving would be DR Harris. You've heard that story before.

This will definitely become a thread to watch - and no doubt another goldmine of information.

It will be the cheapest soap year of your life! I love Arko, but a year would drive me crazy.

The frugality of it is a big selling point for me. Not long ago I thought to myself, for how much some people spend trying these soaps you could have a really nice razor. So picked out an ATT and ordered 900g of Arko. The logic probably holds best if you don't think about it too hard.

And the only thing I ever read negative about Arko is that is has an unpleasant fragrance, industrial bathroom disinfectant as someone put it, that can be mellowed by allowing it to air.

Edit: Also, the US Arko distributor made an account to answer questions for a thread. I thought that was a pretty classy move that not everyone would make.

Last edited:
I'm a relative newbie around here, please count me in.

1. mikeschu - Haslinger
2. brucered - Haslinger

3. brianw - SCS
4. Madscotsman - B&M
5. snowman - Haslinger
6. Haggises - Mystic Water
7. MDV39 - Mikes
8. _Brad - Arko
9. pax238 - CRSW
10. vtmax - Haslinger
11. martym - Stirling
12. 1Cal - Tabac

As much as I didn't expect it... the ADs are starting to kick in. So this may be a little financial help.
:w00t:

This is coming along nicely. It would neat if we all posted pics of our brand/scent choice as the month winds down.

I have my 12 pucks of Haslinger mapped out. There are 9 flavors of Haslinger so I have one of each flavor and repeats of Schafmilch, Aloe, and Coconut. I plan on using Haslinger for travel next year as well so I have an empty travel tube and a puck of Haslinger Aloe I need to grate and press into it. I think a homemade Haslinger soap stick will be just the ticket for traveling.

still need time to make the decision if I would like to go for such commitment. we'll see what my opinion will be on Arko and smth else (don't know yet, what that else should be yet:)).

still need time to make the decision if I would like to go for such commitment. we'll see what my opinion will be on Arko and smth else (don't know yet, what that else should be yet:)).

There are lots of great soaps out there and you can shave well without spending a fortune. Were I to join the fray, my options would be DR Harris (in different scents), Haslinger (in different scents), MWF or perhaps Tabac and Sir Irisch Moos (now wouldn't that be a blast?)

Not in, but good luck! 2016 will be my attempt to whittle down my products to a select few. We will see if I can find something worth using start to finish in 2017.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I would love to do a year of Proraso, and I have enough stock piled to do that. My wife always buys me a tub of TOBS on Holidays, so once a week I have TOBS Tuesdays. I could say I'm in but I probably would TOBS once a week to honor her gifting. Best of luck to you all...and Brad you rock the Arko!!!! Well played and I salute you!!!

I like the concept but unfortunately my timing will not let this work out so well. I just started a tub of DR Harris Marlborough today and only have 1 other tub of DR Harris so I would be unlikely to make it a whole year. I have enough of a few other brands but I want to 3017 the Marlborough so I would be starting late. I am in the process of trying to reduce my stock pile so I should not buy another puck of DR Harris.

As a conceptual exercise the a few brands that I have enough product to go a full year using a single brand are:

- Shaving Yeti: I have five tins of this but I don't think I want to commit to using one after another. It took me 102 shaves to finish off a tin of columbian necktie and it took me awhile to get the lather dialed in. I am also not a fan of the fruit punch scent but that is my fault for just tossing stuff into the cart and ordering anyway.

- RazoRock: I have eight tubs including Santa Maria Del Fiore Sapone Da Barba and could easily go a year with what I have and have quite a bit of variety. It would be pretty easy to 3017 RR for a year.

- Haslinger: I have not tried this soap yet, but based on the praises in the 3017 thread I hope I end up liking it as I have a couple of each flavor... I could just jump on the bandwagon with all the others working on this brand.

- MdC: I am not sure I have enough for a full year (2 jars). My first jar went quick at about 2g/shave but based on my recent usage of 60g of LeDomino at 0.9g per shave I should be able squeak out a year before running out.

Even if I not officially in I may try to finish out the year and may commit to only starting soaps from a single brand in 2016.

Ruckin.

I could maybe do a year of German shave soaps:

Tabac
Irisch Moos
Speick
Palmolive
Haslinger
Nivea (cream)

Top Bottom