What's new

One Year, One Brand for 2016

One Soap to rule them all, One Soap to find them,
One Soap to bring them all and in darkness bind them.

~ Shamelessly stolen from Lord of the Rings

Inspired by the 3017 crew, the excellent @djh and his "Year of DR Harris" in 2013, and @brianw's seemingly never-ending conquest of every soap from Saint Charles Shave, I am inviting one and all to engage in soap monogamy in 2016.

Several of us in the 3017 thread have been discussing a "Year of Haslinger", where we use nothing but Haslinger soap in 2016 (or later). After some public discussion, we thought it would be better to open this up as a general challenge.

This is a thread similar to shave sabbaticals, but intended to be a thread of support, encouragement, silliness, and feedback about daily use of shaving products throughout the year. Many of us participating in Badger and Blade have soap rotations, especially with Clubs and Brotherhoods, and quite a few of us 3017 products. Many people who shaved in a different era may have only used one particular product. But in an age where soap rotations are common, and with more shaving soaps on the market than money, some of us enjoy a challenge.

Will you join us and break free from the shackles of sampling soaps and bind yourself to Your One True Soap for 2016?

Participation will be a commitment as outlined below.

The One Rule:
  1. Dedicate yourself to one brand of shaving soap and/or cream and use it exclusively, to the best of your abilities, for the entire 2016 calendar year.

The Fine Print:
  1. This challenge starts at 12:00:01am in your time zone on January 1, 2016. This challenge ends on 11:59:59pm in your time zone on December 31, 2016.
  2. This challenge only extends to shaving soaps and shaving creams. You are free to use any razor, brush, blade, coticule, sharpening setup, aftershave, pre-shave, post-shave, balm, pomade, beard oil, moustache wax, or any other shaving implement you so choose.
  3. You must declare your shaving soap or saving cream brand.
  4. You are allowed to switch products as long as you stay within the brand. (Example: Proraso Red and Green)
  5. You are allowed to switch between shaving soap, croap or cream - this does not have to be declared - but it must be the same brand. (Example: Speick cream and/or shave stick is okay, because you are sticking to one brand.)
  6. You are allowed to change your selection before January 1, but not after. Please copy and update the list when doing so.
  7. Publicly known and accepted rebrands are acceptable and count as being in the same brand (Example: Proraso Green and C.O. Bigelow). Rebranding information must be common knowledge on Badger and Blade, and must be agreed upon by participants in this thread if there is any doubt. You may be required to provide documentation upon request.
  8. We understand that some shaving products may not travel well due to regulations (like cream tubes over 3-oz/100g). You are allowed a separate soap/cream for travel. The travel soaps/creams do not have to be declared, but it would be appreciated to let us know when you are using them if possible. Note that if you travel regularly (e.g. for work), you may not need to use this exception.
  9. We also understand that there may be situations where you need to use a special setup (e.g. wedding anniversary, wedding, birthday). Such exceptions are discouraged in the spirit of this challenge, but we understand if they happen on a very irregular basis (think once or twice a year).
  10. Participation does not exclude you from other challenges or their rules and requirements, but suffice to say that you won't be able to participate in any themed weeks/months regarding shave soaps/creams. There's no changing for Speicktember, Razorocktober, or Tabactober for the participants, because every month in 2016 will be a themed month with the soap brand you choose.

To Sign Up:

Reply to this thread, copy the list, and add your user name and the brand you are using. Remember: you can change before January 1, but not after.

1. mikeschu - Haslinger

Last edited:
It'll be all Haslinger for me. I actually started early by opening up a new puck of Schafmilch today to use for December.

I haven't decided if I'll swap out new scents at the end of the month or keep using the soap until done. Haslinger seems to last me 28-35 days, so I can probably adjust accordingly and finish a soap a month.

Great idea but I won't be joining you guys. I have too many soaps to be buying anymore and I don't have enough of any one soap brand to pull off a full year. Nevertheless, I have subscribed the thread and will be following you closely. Good luck to all participants; this one should be fun.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
This is painful just to think about. I'm out. If I were actually going to do it, it would be either Saponificio Varesino or PannaCrema (so I could use Nuavia). Not gonna happen, though. Just too many great soaps to use!

great idea, but I plan on trying to use up what I've got. I've got 3 pucks going right now and I plan using them up completely before opening anything new. I also plan on trying to be more economical on my blades.

I believe the fine print got added after I signed up. I'm still in, but will be enjoying a La Toja Manantiales or SnS soap, once a month or so.

My goal was and still is, to use Haslinger for 95% or more of my shaves. I'll still be having the odd fun shave here and there with another soap to make me appreciate how good Haslinger is.

9. We also understand that there may be situations where you need to use a special setup (e.g. wedding anniversary, wedding, birthday). Such exceptions are discouraged in the spirit of this challenge, but we understand if they happen on a very irregular basis (think once or twice a year)

Mike, I am, almost, tempted to join in this as I have, principally, been using Mystic Water for four years, now, daily, but I highly doubt I could go the entire year without trying a new scent from another artisan if it is released, just out of curiosity! With this experimentation of a few days be included in the exceptions? :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I don't think occasionally going offbrand is a bad thing, especially to re-establish your bar for whatever soap you're currently using. I know in the 3017 thread, many of us that are using one product for an extended amount of time will do this.

This sounds like a lot of fun/commitment. IF I did this I would use Stirling and would love every day of it. But I am way too new to commit to such an endeavor. Good luck to all competing/enduring/surviving.

I believe the fine print got added after I signed up. I'm still in, but will be enjoying a La Toja Manantiales or SnS soap, once a month or so.

My goal was and still is, to use Haslinger for 95% or more of my shaves. I'll still be having the odd fun shave here and there with another soap to make me appreciate how good Haslinger is.

9. We also understand that there may be situations where you need to use a special setup (e.g. wedding anniversary, wedding, birthday). Such exceptions are discouraged in the spirit of this challenge, but we understand if they happen on a very irregular basis (think once or twice a year)

Mike, I am, almost, tempted to join in this as I have, principally, been using Mystic Water for four years, now, daily, but I highly doubt I could go the entire year without trying a new scent from another artisan if it is released, just out of curiosity! With this experimentation of a few days be included in the exceptions? :biggrin1:

I'm open to amending it; I think when I talked to a few people it sounded like there was a full-on commitment to not deviate. Guess that's sort of the problem when it's not face-to-face communication.

I'd prefer not to get too many exceptions in there though about how many days you can deviate, etc.... This is intended to be a bit of a challenge, and a self-reporting one at that. But I recall there being things about exceptions during restraints (for instance) and given the feedback, set strict first and relax a bit.

$image.jpeg

What a great idea this is. Unfortunately, I will not be joining since I have so many soaps I would like to work through first. Like so many of the 3017 guys I have come to the point that I am only willing to use what are top tier soaps for me. I am still narrowing down my top soaps with Valobra being my benchmark.
After I'm done with my current soap (Saponificio Varesino), I will join you guys for a puck or two of Haslinger (this will be my first use of what Bruce considers his benchmark).
Good luck and enjoy every shave to all who join in on this challenge.

I'm in! Haslinger for me. I took the liberty of updating the list to make it easier for additional gents to cut and paste and add their name and soap.

1. mikeschu - Haslinger
2. brucered - Haslinger
3. brianw - SCS
4. Madscotsman - B&M
5. snowman - Haslinger

I plan on joining the 2016 shave purchase sabbatical and these 2 endeavors are a natural fit considering I have a 4 year supply of Haslinger in the stash. I'm looking forward to a full year of fantastic lathers.

I think a gentleman's pass is in order, Bruce, considering you have started a full month early! I know I won't tell Haslinger you have a couple of mistresses tucked away. :lol:

Top Bottom