What's new

1 year in: How B&B has helped me more than I could have imagined in unexpected ways.

Dear brothers of the B&B community.

Hello. My name is Tony, and I'm an Aspie. You don't know it, but each and every one of you has helped me this past year and I thank you for it. This will be a very personal post and will probably be quite a long post, but this is the only forum I can actually properly talk about this. If nothing else, writing this out and thanking you all will make me happier.

Backstory: After ongoing severe difficulty with my university studies, I was referred to a psychologist who eventually diagnosed me with Asperger Syndrome (an autistic spectrum disorder), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, dyspraxia and some other things I won't go into at this time.
As one might expect with the above diagnoses, I have become incredibly obsessed with innumerable hobbies in my life time. These often occur rather spontaneously, find me totally absorbed in them for a period of time (often at a considerable personal expense, as is often the case when starting a new hobby) before losing interest after a few weeks (or rarely, a few months) and leaving whatever it is to gather dust at the back of my wardrobe. This includes home brewing, woodworking, making gadgets, creative pursuits, etc etc. You name it, I've probably had a crack at it and then lost interest.
Outside of my basic physiological mechanisms (breathing, eating, sleeping) and university, I can't think of a single thing that I have continued in for a significant period of time. Which brings me to the reason for this post. B&B and wetshaving.

For just over decade, I've needed to shave and like many of you out there, it was with cartridges and a viciously unpleasant experience. I would obsess over trying to get a close shave much to the detriment of my face, going from one cartridge razor to the next in the hope that this one would be the one that I could shave comfortably with to a point that I was satisfied. It was never the case.
My obsessions and continued scouring of the internet for a way to get a better shave ultimately led me here to B&B. It looked like I'd found exactly what I wanted, a style of shaving that would finally give me the results I want.

When I took the plunge and started acquiring the various bits and pieces that I needed, some of my friends and family and SWMBO rolled their eyes and thought that I was again wasting my money on something that I get bored of. And here I am, coming up to the one year anniversary of my first DE shave and still going strong.
For me personally, that is an incredible achievement.

Having a community like B&B that I could visit whenever the obsessive desires struck me has been blissful. It is rare that I find individuals, let alone such a large group of charming people, who are willing to discuss my obsessions in detail and at length. It's fairly common that the people in my life are, understandably, not as excited as I am by whatever my latest craze happens to be, and I find it quite difficult not being to talk it. With B&B, that has ceased to be a problem. It has probably also been beneficial to my loved ones, who are now no longer the unwilling listeners.

Studying, developing and honing my shaving technique has been a wonderful experience. I adore routines, and wetshaving has provided me with a hobby that is, if nothing else, pure routine. I love to carry out my prep, set up my razor, soak my brush and prepare my lather before I proceed with three passes of shaving. On top of that, my careful and meticulous nature massively enjoys the process of shaving. There are times when I am stressed or agitated, and simply retiring to the bathroom and having a shave can be incredibly relaxing and soothing for me.

Impulsivity is something I have struggled with a very long time. If I want something, I buy it. If I want to do something, I do it. My self restraint is incredibly weak. And it's no wonder that within the first month of being a wetshaver, I spent about £200 on razors, soaps and brushes. I couldn't help myself. And I know that's very common for the members here, that acquisition disorders come hand in hand with wetshaving. But for me, it was just another way to pour my money down the drain.
Until I started joining the restraints. For some reason, committing to not buying any shaving gear for a month on an internet forum has been effective. First I managed to go a month without buying anything. And then again, a few months later. And then joined the GRU Christmas and, as of this moment, am still in. I don't quite know why, but by adding my name to that list and promising not to buy any more gives me the self control I need. Would you know if I lied? Not a chance. Would it matter to me - absolutely.

Stemming from that, my uptake of new hobbies has decreased. And certainly, spending money on them is now very unusual. I am much more aware of the growing urges I have to start a new project and I have learnt more self control, and I can apply that which I gained from being a member here to my lifestyle. So, admittedly, I have started a number of projects over the past few months (and I've even completed a few of them!), but just the fact that I've managed to not empty my bank account in doing so is very big news for me.

Correction to a previous statement: smoking is a habit that I've had for many years - if only I could have gotten bored and moved on from that one quickly! I have tried to stop a few times and been very unsuccessful very quickly. So I decided to do a restraint. Could I not smoke for one week. Well done. Could I stop for two weeks? Well done, get a reward. And so on. I now haven't purchased cigarettes or tobacco in several months, and I know that the strength I needed for that has come from being a member here.

So it is you that I must thank. All of you, the members of this fantastic community, the fact that you are here and talking about these things provides me with a very safe place. I am getting better every day, and I will be eternally grateful to my brothers here at B&B for making me a better man - not just at shaving, but in life.

Thank you one and all.
Tony

What an incredible story, Tony, and I'm glad you found a truly safe and gentlemanly haven where you feel confident in sharing!

I, too, have been surprised at how this simple passion and the ritual of wet shaving has added a calming influence to my life. Like you, I never looked forward to shaving because it was an absolutely unpleasant daily experience, which meant I started my day - every day - with a whole bunch of negative energy. Now I actually look forward to shaving every morning, which might seem silly because I'm retired and don't have to shave, but every day now starts with the positive energy that comes from my daily meditative ritual. Amazing how that changes one's outlook, and ripples through the rest of the day.

Stay positive!

You are very welcome, Tony. I'm glad that we were of some use in helping you overcome your difficulties. I think that that is the first time I have read of the forum making such a big difference in someone's life.

+1 - I am glad you are enjoying B&B. I do enjoy the forum community and it has helped me appreciate this hobby even more. I am very impressed that you cut down smoking as well. I may have to think about doing a restraint as well to see if that would work for me.

I look forward to see more of your contribution for years to come. :)

Tony, thanks for sharing your experience. It's surprising how small changes in one part of our lives has a ripple effect in others. Way to go!

Great story Tony, and I'm glad we could collectively help you out, and have fun talking about shave gear, technique, etc. That's cool the restraints are working for you with shave purchases and with smoking!

Sounds pretty familiar to me. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 10 and like you I tend to cycle through hobbies doing stuff for awhile and then getting tired of it. I don't think mine is as severe since I still come back to those hobbies from time to time. I think the reason I stuck with DE shaving is because I have a particular personal style and I shave to keep my classic tiki bar crawler look. There are periods where I spend more or less money on it. Right now I'm on one of my "i wanna try new stuff" kicks so I'm spending a bit more on it at the moment.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
That is a great story, thanks for sharing that.
The awesome thing is if you truly get the spirit of B&B that post makes perfect sense.
Congrats and keep it up.

Top Bottom