What's new

starting to get it

It seems like after a bit of learning I reached a "lightbulb" moment and now I'm consistently getting no bleeders.

Two days back I realized I can apply pressure (controlled and light) without causing irritation. Its amazing how you can learn with practice. When I first started my face was a bleeding, blotchy, razor burned mess. Now I'm consistently getting DFS with no irritation.

Still not getting BBS but it may come. Doesn't matter too much as each shave seems to be a slight improvement over the last.

yipee

It's VERY remarkable. It's like some kind of shaving "muscle memory" thing kicks in and you know exactly how to apply pressure. And you're right...you can hear "no pressure" over and over, but you never really GET it without practice. Bravo, sir!

Congrats on figuring it out and I am right there with you. I have been wet shaving everyday for about 5 weeks now and I am starting to get it also. DFS, no bleeders and very little irritation with almost every shave now. For me, the combination of good technique and shaving products that work for my face have really made all the difference. If I had to pick one thing that helps me the most to get the best shave, it is using a good shave soap. Next up would be a tie between using a blade that works for my face and proper technique. The brush, shave prep and after shave treatment are the less important things for me but of course, YMMV.

You are correct. The "no pressure" rule is a good starting point, especially for someone just starting out and unfamiliar with how DE's behave compared to carts or are using a particularly aggressive or unfamiliar razor for the first time.

However once you know your razor, blade, lather, angle and face, there will be instances and areas in which pressure can indeed be increased to improve cutting efficiency.

In fact if this judicious application of increased pressure succeeds in improving the efficiency of the cut for a given spot, it lessens the likelihood one will want to go over the same spot again and actually decrease the probability of inducing irritation. But again, this is advice to those who are already well into their game and know their equipment and technique inside and out.

I think the fact that you are here signals that something that used to be drudgery and a chore - maybe even dreaded! - has actually become something you enjoy, and what a transformation that is.

It'll change your outlook on the entire day ahead when you start it out with something you enjoy, rather than something you would rather avoid.

As good as your shaves have already become, they'll get even better with time!

It is a good feeling to reach that moment. While I don't get consistent BBS (only rarely) getting a DFS all the time has ensured I will never go back to carts. Congrats and remember it only gets better and don't let the bad shaves get you down.

Congrats, on figuring it out. The joy of shaving amazes me. It used to be such a chore and now it is very satisfying. I see a BBS in the near future.

Top Bottom