What's new

Recommended metal polish for straight razors

I'm looking to polish some straight razors. In the past I have used Wright's Silver Polish with not much success, so I want to get a better product.

I can't seem to locate any Flitz or Maas polish where I live in Brooklyn, but my hardware store does carry Noxon 7 and a few others.

Any suggestions here? Thanks.

I have found Peek cream polish to work really well. Usually easily found as well. Most hardware stores around here carry it.

I definitely bow down to Flitz liquid, there's simply gotta be a hardware in the borough that's got it.

I definitely bow down to Flitz liquid, there's simply gotta be a hardware in the borough that's got it.

Thanks for the replies all. Obviously I could buy Flitz or Maas online, but I like to support my local stores plus I hate paying shipping. Call me crazy. (Or stingy).

I guess the other question is, would any of these polishes potentially remove gold wash and artwork etc.?

Thanks for the replies all. Obviously I could buy Flitz or Maas online, but I like to support my local stores plus I hate paying shipping. Call me crazy. (Or stingy).

I guess the other question is, would any of these polishes potentially remove gold wash and artwork etc.?

They will all take gold wash right off! Gold wash is ultra thin and delicate!

Thanks Brian, it may be an obvious question to some, but better safe than sorry.

No problem. I typed that in as quickly as my fingers could go! There are a lot of razors out there that have had the gold stripped right off of them by people that just jumped in without checking first.

I have half a bottle of flitz that I use to use on my cymbals but I found it to harsh and smell terrible.

If you want I can PIF you mine and throw in a tub of blue magic polish which is about the same?

I have half a bottle of flitz that I use to use on my cymbals but I found it to harsh and smell terrible.

If you want I can PIF you mine and throw in a tub of blue magic polish which is about the same?

Please give the White Diamond a try. I have used dozens of metal polishes over the years and White Diamond is by far my favorite.

I'm sure it's good but I don't need any I was just offering my flitz to the OP to try.

E, I 'll take you up on your generous offer. A small amount will be good as I have 8 straights total and they're all in pretty good shape surface-wise. I just want to kick them up a notch.

I'll PM you, thanks.

Top Bottom