What's new

Long vs. short comb

I bought a Gillette NEW long comb a few months ago. Love it, by the way. But does the short comb offer any substantial difference in a shaving experience?

proxy.php

You will find it a real YMMV thing. I find the short comb slightly smoother but not by much. Some find it the other way around. If you come across one at a good price and you want it, go ahead and grab it. Would I say you need one....no.

LC is smoother.
SC is smoother.
LC is more aggressive.
SC is more aggressive.
I love my LC.
I love my SC.
You should get a SC.
Don't bother with the SC.
/thread

It really is a ymmv thing. I've used the SC & the LC, ball end & bar handle. Imo, a ball end LC is where it's at, followed closely behind by a thick cap Old with an Ericsson handle.

Last edited:
Not really.

By the way, I was wondering where my can of worms went. I was looking for it just last night!

I've used the LC for over a year while the SC sat. I'm using the SC now and like it slightly better, nothing to write home to mom about though.

It has a different baseplate design from the LC and the LCs cap is about .008" to .012" thicker than the SCs cap, depending on which LC I measure.

The blade seems to last longer in the SC.

YMMV...

I feel lucky to have found my LC at a flea market here in Ohio, THEN found a "like new" SC New at a flea market on vacation in Tennessee...
THEN a friend, while going through his father's estate, gifted me a "like new" LC! All in 6 months or so of beginning to hunt for D.E. razors!
I don't find a whole lot of difference between 'em. But I DO gravitate towards the LCs...
Both are functional works of art, and hard to imagine room for improvement. (Other than the pesky handles...)

I do not know if parts are all original on my NEWs, but I have not found any two LC or any two SC that shave the same. They all seem to have their own personality.

Yeah as far as I can tell the LC is pretty much a perfect razor. Except for the handle, like ramsa said. (Cracks, slippage)

LC is smoother.
SC is smoother.
LC is more aggressive.
SC is more aggressive.
I love my LC.
I love my SC.
You should get a SC.
Don't bother with the SC.
/thread

It really is a ymmv thing. I've used the SC & the LC, ball end & bar handle. Imo, a ball end LC is where it's at, followed closely behind by a thick cap Old with an Ericsson handle.

Thanks for clearing this up! :lol:

Top Bottom