What's new

alum burn with BBS?

While my DE shaving has improved dramatically (I am not getting irritation or bleeders anymore), I cannot seem to get close to BBS without some Alum Block minor burning.

My question is, can people get BBS with three passes and no alum block rub slight burning?

If so, I have a ways to go :)

I don't like the sting of alum at all. Always gives me burns. No alum, No BBS but who cares. I'm decently shaved! :)

I get a sting from alum even with out a shave. Try it yourself tonight, 12 hours after your BBS shave this morning, and you might find you too get a sting regardless. I learned (another bit of wisdom learned from KJ) that my alum block which is made as an underarm deodorant, is made from an ammonia salt and will sting more than the ones sold for shaving. So I don't know if I'm just destined to feel the burn because I am using a pit rock as face alum or if I am sensitive to alum in general, you may have a different experience.

I don't use alum all that often, but when I do ...oh boy! Gotta love that burn.

I've abandoned the post shave alum application. The only time I ever use it now is when I get a nick or weeper and then only on that specific spot to stop the bleeding. I do rather enjoy the post-shave sting though as I am a fan of alcohol based aftershaves. It's like a sign that it's working. I think the sting-free BBS shave is very rare if not a myth, at least when applying an alcohol based aftershave. I've had several shaves that didn't sting very much but I don't think I've ever had a sting-free shave. They're irritation free but not sting free.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
When I used an alum block, I always got sting, no matter how comfortable the shave was.

I don't use alum at this time. When I finish shaving, I wipe With Hazel on my face with a shave towel--the buff any hairs standing up. i follow-up with my A/S, and then buff again. I will have to see if my sources of shaving supplies carry alum--I want to try it out of curiosity in the near future. Any suggestions for a brand of alum?

I don't use alum at this time. When I finish shaving, I wipe With Hazel on my face with a shave towel--the buff any hairs standing up. i follow-up with my A/S, and then buff again. I will have to see if my sources of shaving supplies carry alum--I want to try it out of curiosity in the near future. Any suggestions for a brand of alum?
I've been very happy with Bloc Osma. Its small, but high quality.

I originally thought that an alum block only helps heal knicks and weepers? But hearing that people use it regularly post shave, is it supposed to help with irritation as well or something?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I originally thought that an alum block only helps heal knicks and weepers? But hearing that people use it regularly post shave, is it supposed to help with irritation as well or something?

I don't think I've ever seen anybody suggest that it helps avoid/relieve irritation.

Never tried alum blocks. Didn't even find out about them until a few months in to wetshaving, and now there's no point. Though I am going to be trying straights soon, so maybe I should grab another styptic pencil...

I've been very happy with Bloc Osma. Its small, but high quality.

+1. It's a solid block, lasts a long time.

I use alum after every shave, always get a little burn. Every few shaves, I'll get barely any sting - shrug. I don't mind it, but it doesn't matter since I follow up with an alcohol based splash (the more methol, the better!)... so I'm ok with some sting.

I don't use my Alum block anymore. I feels like it dries the skin too much and also.. tastes bad when I use it around my upper lip and stuff. I figure no lady friend would enjoy that taste on my cheeks ! hehe.

I use alcohol based aftershave while my skin is still wet so it's a little less strong. Alum block only when I cut myself.

I use an alum block occasionally. Usually get a sting. But I always rinse it off my face after a few seconds, then apply my normal AS and balm.

Top Bottom