What's new

Does the Fatboy live up to its hype?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I've been curious as to why fatboys sell so high on the bay. Are they that good of a razor? They pique my interest but in no way can I afford one! Here's to hoping for one in the wild!

Adam

Why the high price? They are basically the muscle car of the razor world. Just look at the 8 pages of American beauty.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/462708-Fatboy-Parade

Shave wise...don't tell anyone....

$2522368376_633587532668224235_meh_answer_2_xlarge~2.jpg

The only reason they sell for so much on e-bay is because there are people who pay that price. If people stopped paying those prices then you'd see a sudden drop in the price everywhere. Keep that in mind.

Now, on the other hand, the replated ones are understandably more expensive because of the replating process and prep work involved.

Happy hunting.

Gillette created the Fatboy for the wet shaving renaissance of today. They actually control all Fatboy auctions on eBay. Prices can only go up. Better get yours now.

Not that great of razor, in my humble opinion, however you can do a whole lot worse than being stuck with a Fatboy for today's shave. I think part of the mystique is the short manufacturing run. Most Gillettes were or have been in production for decades. The only razors commanding higher prices are the even rarer toggles and some of the presentation/premium offerings.

Fatboys are ok IMO. It's mostly hype. I mean they are the best ever made...keep buying them so I can buy the other good razors for cheap. Likes those tech things.

I have one, and I do not regret buying it! However, shaving is very much dictated by YMMV... Yes, there are better razors out there; and yes, the Fatboy razor is completely overpriced.

I think the name "Fatboy" plays a part in their popularity. Cool name for a razor.
Having said that, I have a Slim and a Black Beauty. They are fantastic Adjustables, and at current prices for a Fatboy, they tick all the boxes for me. Not feeling any great desire for that Fatboy. YMMV.

Everyone should own one I reckon ..once mastered, they give a very decent shave for most people. Then there's the look and feel...way cool. Slims are also a great shave and equally cool looking. I generally buy them and tart them up in Rhodium of a cool electro-plate / powder-coat colours. I keep the better ones as preserved in their original nickle.

Such a pity Gillette will never make these again. They represent the end of quality construction and the start of the "throw-away" age.

It could be a case where you either instantly like it or you don't.

I bought one "just to have". Then one day I used it and became an addict ever since. Not because they're "cool" or desirable, but because it let me find the right angle instantly and gave me great shaves.

But they are not for everyone as testimony bears out. Which is a good thing or they would quickly become nearly impossible to find :)

It could be a case where you either instantly like it or you don't.

I bought one "just to have". Then one day I used it and became an addict ever since. Not because they're "cool" or desirable, but because it let me find the right angle instantly and gave me great shaves.

But they are not for everyone as testimony bears out. Which is a good thing or they would quickly become nearly impossible to find :)

Exactly! I came across one for a good price and thought I had to have it just because it's a FATBOY. I found as I'm using mine that it has quickly become one of my favorites.

It's not hype. They are that nice of a razor.

For the same money, if spent judiciously, a person could put together a stable of half a dozen very nice razors of varying degrees of aggressiveness, however.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I think the name "Fatboy" plays a part in their popularity. Cool name for a razor.
Having said that, I have a Slim and a Black Beauty. They are fantastic Adjustables, and at current prices for a Fatboy, they tick all the boxes for me. Not feeling any great desire for that Fatboy. YMMV.
I think the name is part of it as well. I mean who doesn't want a razor that shares it's name with a motorcycle???

They shave fine, but not markedly different from any other Gillette and the prices are to high. Driven by somewhat of a fad plus a "cool" collector nickname.

A shave is a shave. If a razor can deliver a DFS or BBS in 2 passes, then that's a top notch razor. There are many, many razors that can do that.

I've shaved with many different types of razors. Some very expensive, some not. I have enjoyed using several of them. But, for some reason I compare them all to the Fatboy Razor. I do not care for razors that are too aggressive, or too mild. The Fatboy can be adjusted to both. Loaded with good blades, and set on 5, the Fatboy will deliver a shave that almost feels as if no blade is in it, yet also deliver a very close shave. Hence, smooth as butter.
It's not the prettiest razor, but it does look nice. It makes shaving enjoyable again, after so many years of pain, delivered by cartridge razors.

I have one in my collection. It has a nice weight and feel to it, ..... but (as stated in an earlier post) it is a meh shave.

I have used it several times. I use it for a week straight at a time, and have tried it with different blades and settings.

It has never matched my New and Old types for a great face and head shave. Even my Supersped, Aristocrats and Early-war Tech have provided better shaves.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I've been borrowing a Fatboy for the past month or so and this thread seems as good as any to air out a few thoughts...

Shaving wise, it's real nice. I get a great shave at the higher settings. It feels great in the hand. I like the nice, solid "clicks" when working the adjustment knob. Just a fantastic classic American instrument. However, BSAGuy is spot on. The Fatboy is not markedly better than my Red Tip or '47 SS.

It doesn't surprise me that the Fatboys are so popular. They have that heavy feel that is en vogue currently. They are somewhat rarer than Slims and Black Beauties.

Top Bottom