What's new

Having son lather before starting to shave

My son is at the age that he thinks his beard is coming in. He is probably right at some level - perhaps microscopic. However, I wasn't much older when I started to shave. I was wondering if giving him a brush (or two) and some soap then have him practice making lather and 'cleaning' his face would be beneficial?

If so what cream, hard soap, or soft soap would you recommend?

I would use whatever soap you are comfortable with and make the best lather. That way you can show him and critique him on his technique. It helped me show mine that way.

Gave him a choice of a few soaps - he chose RazoRock Classic and The Body Sho Macca Root. Let him choose between a couple of synthetic brushes; if he'd chosen my RR Plissoft I'd have ordered a replacement immediately but he chose my Kent Infinity which makes that choice a little harder.

We tried face lathering first but he liked and did much better palm lathering. He found the whole thing really cool. Overall it was one of those cool Father / Son moments in life.

Kudos for your son's interest. Lather him up. Also, give him a Tech and a blade and let him start shaving the peach fuzz. I did that for my second son a while back and hopefully, he is a DE shaver for life.

You could give him an unloaded razor and have him "scrape" the lather off. Good lessons for pressure and angle without worrying about nicks and cuts.

Thought about that, I just may do it. Waiting on an EJ89 to pair with my OSS handle for him.

I started on the EJ86 almost 2 months ago, same head, black handle. I couldn't be happier for a 1st razor so I think you picked a good one for him. He should have a relatively easy and safe learning curve. Congrats on being able to enjoy bonding through it, that's priceless memories there.

The screen on his phone is a picture of himself with a face full of lather.

eta: I am wondering about the OSS handle as a pairing with it -- thoughts?

That's a nice handle. He should have no trouble with it. You can't go too far wrong by Letting him use what you use.

Think thats really cool. Wish my Dad would've done something like this to get me excited about shaving. Awesome!

Top Bottom