What's new

Gillette with second serial #

Once again, I'm looking to the good and always helpful folks on this forum to help answer a question: I have a Gillette old that is in a khaki set I bought a couple weeks ago, and it has a second serial number stamp - an L140XXX number - that I believe indicates it was repaired by Gillette at some point. The other number, an H233XXX, dates it to 1918, I believe. The razor is in overall great shape. It does have the typical crack in the ball end end of the handle, but it is barely noticeable, and I can't tell what may have been repaired. My question is, does having this second stamp increase or decrease desirability of a razor, or have no affect on it? I'm just trying to gain some knowledge here, I bought the razor to use, and because I really like the khaki sets. I personally kind of like the fact that at some point way back when, Gillette actually rebuilt or repaired it. I'm just wondering if there is a general consensus on how, or if, this affects desirability.

Sure thing!
$DSCF5907.jpg$DSCF5911.jpg

Beautiful set!

I don't think the "L" number would hurt the monetary value of the set in any way - but I don't think it would enhance monetary value, either. For me, it really creates a richer story for the razor, and that's COOL!

Thanks, and that's kind of what I was thinking. To me, it does add a little interest to the razor's story. I'm not really too concerned with monetary value, other than curiosity. I've learned from this great forum a lot about these old razors, in a short time, but I don't know how common it is to have that "L" stamp. Also, I'd love to know what kind of repairs they most commonly did. Any ideas? Maybe straightening bent teeth? Replacing cracked handles? Like they say, expiring minds want to know. :blink:

Once again, I'm looking to the good and always helpful folks on this forum to help answer a question: I have a Gillette old that is in a khaki set I bought a couple weeks ago, and it has a second serial number stamp - an L140XXX number - that I believe indicates it was repaired by Gillette at some point. The other number, an H233XXX, dates it to 1918, I believe. The razor is in overall great shape. It does have the typical crack in the ball end end of the handle, but it is barely noticeable, and I can't tell what may have been repaired. My question is, does having this second stamp increase or decrease desirability of a razor, or have no affect on it? I'm just trying to gain some knowledge here, I bought the razor to use, and because I really like the khaki sets. I personally kind of like the fact that at some point way back when, Gillette actually rebuilt or repaired it. I'm just wondering if there is a general consensus on how, or if, this affects desirability.
From my Waits compendium

$2015-11-29 20.14.29.jpg

You think we could send our razors back to Gillette, for cracked handles??? What were the original warranties on their razors?

Top Bottom