What's new

Should I try a 2 or 3 piece DE Razor (vs my trusty TTO/Butterfly 1 piece)

DE Razors

Having only used 1 piece TTO/Butterfly razors, I have a query about the two and three piece varieties:

Do they normally remain clamped shut during a shave? (I hope that makes sense.) :blushing:

The reason I ask is that I live in a very hard water area. So when I rinse my TTO in the sink during a shave, I open it up a little so all the gunk gets washed off.

I'd like to try two or three piece razors (RAD, you know), but am guessing it might not be so good in a hard water area. :blink:

2-3 piece razors do remain closed during a shave if you tighten them down. If you felt need to loosen for rinsing, that will work fine.

Don't let hard water hold you back.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Should you buy it has nothing to do with it. Need is everything, and if RAD is setting in, then you do NEED

We have fairly hard water here in London, I just keep mine clamped together and just rinse them after each shave and they are fine.
I do take them apart and give them a quick going over with a toothbrush after a week or so just get to the little bits the rinsing might not get out and to bring the shine back.

DE Razors

Having only used 1 piece TTO/Butterfly razors, I have a query about the two and three piece varieties:

Do they normally remain clamped shut during a shave? (I hope that makes sense.) :blushing:

The reason I ask is that I live in a very hard water area. So when I rinse my TTO in the sink during a shave, I open it up a little so all the gunk gets washed off.

I'd like to try two or three piece razors (RAD, you know), but am guessing it might not be so good in a hard water area. :blink:
If that was the case then half of B&B members wouldn't own these....go ahead and buy with confidence.

I've never had a problem with a three-piece razor coming open, and I sometimes loosen it to rinse, too. I live in an extremely hard water area and it has never affected my razor--just my lather.

Wow! :w00t:

Thank you for all your responses guys, much appreciated... which brings up the NEXT question:

Would you recommend any 2 and 3 piece razors for me please? My preference would be with a short, thick, heavy handle (and not too expensive).

Since you're in the UK, you have access to a truly excellent razor--the Edwin Jagger DE89. They are a very smooth, comfortable, and efficient razor and the build quality is splendid.

I'd suggest trying an open comb. I'm a convert after trying the Gillette NEW and Old Type. The really nice thing for me is that I can see in the lather how my angle is. I don't know what kind of vintage razors can be found locally for you, but I'd have a look at your eBay.

I'd suggest trying an open comb. I'm a convert after trying the Gillette NEW and Old Type. The really nice thing for me is that I can see in the lather how my angle is. I don't know what kind of vintage razors can be found locally for you, but I'd have a look at your eBay.

+1 for open combs, especially since you're already used to wetshaving. Lots of good choices out there.

Since you're in the UK, you have access to a truly excellent razor--the Edwin Jagger DE89. They are a very smooth, comfortable, and efficient razor and the build quality is splendid.
Thank you Steve. :001_smile I'll check out the Edwin Jagger website.

Thank you Brad. :001_smile eBay here I come.

+1 for open combs, especially since you're already used to wetshaving. Lots of good choices out there.
Thank you stoop. :001_smile I must admit I thought open combs were a bit of a rarity... till now!

Well guys, I know I asked for it, but I think the only problem I have now is too much information! I suspect this is going to keep me browsing for a l-o-n-g time. I can already feel my pockets emptying just thinking about it! :blink:

The Gillette Old and New razors are excellent, but the only problem with them from your point of view is that most have relatively thin and light handles. I rather like the variety this gives, but if you are set on a heavy handle then you could buy a stainless steel one from one of several sources, at relatively low cost. A guy who sells on ebay as windrose does some good ones.

I loosen my 3 piece on the final wash-up when I am done shaving. I run it under hot water for about a half minute. I've never had to open it during the shave. I just wiggle it in the basin water and the whiskers and cream come out. Even if I've gone three days on a weekend (longer whiskers), I've never had a problem with a 3 piece during the shave. (Muhle R89).

Any razor have to be loosened to rinse out if you have your lather too dry! Dry lather will clog up a razor as fast as eating two pounds of cheese will a human.
But, under ordinary circumstances they do not.

The Gillette Old and New razors are excellent, but the only problem with them from your point of view is that most have relatively thin and light handles. I rather like the variety this gives, but if you are set on a heavy handle then you could buy a stainless steel one from one of several sources, at relatively low cost. A guy who sells on ebay as windrose does some good ones.
Thank you CS. :001_smile
I've put the Windrose SS Handles on my eBay Watch list. :w00t:

I have hard water, and no problems with my three-piece razors. I never loosen them to rinse.
The water where I'm at is not only disgusting but uber-hard. You could stand a spoon up in it.
You wouldn't believe the state of the sink after a shave. :censored:

Any razor have to be loosened to rinse out if you have your lather too dry! Dry lather will clog up a razor as fast as eating two pounds of cheese will a human.
Thanks for pointing that out Mischief. :thumbup1: I hadn't even thought about that. But thinking back to lather play with different brushes and such, you're so right (the better/creamier the lather, the less clogging).

But, under ordinary circumstances they do not.
As noted in my reply to Raissermesser the water where I'm at isn't ordinary, unfortunately. :001_rolle

Top Bottom