What's new

Cigar humidor questions/ cutting accessories/ a makeshift cigar stabilizer

Most of the big cigar sites have a humidor deal like that. Here's one from Thompson cigars:
http://t.thompsoncigar.com/product/GURKHA-BLACK-20-COUNT-HUMIDOR/92609.uts?cm_vc=10001

There usually also a deal for 10 or so cigars worth $50 or more for $40 an the same humidor for free, including a humidifier, probably a crystal bead type.
http://t.thompsoncigar.com/product/...III-PLUS-GURKHA-HUMIDOR/90944.uts?cm_vc=10001
I would have mentioned this sooner, but I though we were avoiding spending real money.

Good point about the distilled water, too. That won't cost much more than $1 at Walgreens or similar chains.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of investing a mere $20 in a package deal. The cigars you get won't be great but it's not much money to get started.

When it comes to the airtight container thing, I'm not so sure cigars need to breathe just to store them. To age them, yes absolutely...but if you put them in a large mason jar they should be fine (and you could probably get away with skipping humidification and even skipping the hygrometer), especially if you don't intend to wait decades to smoke them. Occasionally smoking one will even introduce the needed fresh air.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
As far as something to hold the cigar while you cut it, there are a couple devices like the Cigar Minder that you can clip to almost anything and will securely hold a cigar for you.

if I was made of money this would be much more easier but I'm a broke college student lol

There is no doubt cigars can be an expensive hobby but what is also great is that it doesn't have to be super expensive and out of the price range of the average guy. I've smoked $1 cigars, $5 cigars, $10 cigars and $20+cigars. I can honestly say that I have had some cheapie cigars that I have enjoyed more than really expensive ones. On balance are you more likely to get a better cigar when you pay a bit more? Of course like many things cigars tend to be a "you get what you pay for" experience but there are diamonds in the rough.

I would definitely save up and get one of the humidor/sampler pack combos from an online retailer to get started. Don't cut corners and cheat yourself from the full experience.

so i bought a few cigars and a cutter and got a free storage box for now

$IMG_0056.JPG$IMG_0057.JPG

I used to smoke a fairly inexpensive Arturo Fuente called a Curly Head. I liked the Maduro ones better than the ones with the lighter wrapper. Just because a cigar has a dark wrapper doesn't mean its strong. These were mild and tasty in my opinion.

Rick

Cheap hygrometers suck. Well let me say most hygrometers suck!!! Try using the Boveda packs for humidification. Most stores carry them. You can get them in different PH ranges and never have to worry about proper humidity as they keep consistent humidity. They last 3-4 months in a stable environment and are $3-$4. I have 4 humidors and they were hard to keep up with distilled water as a couple are used for the higher dollar smokes (not opened very often) and my other two are used for the daily smokes when not at the cigar bar.

Air tight containers works they keep the humidity levels right with proper humidification. Opening them from time to time for "breathing" works fine. I have a friend that runs a premium cigar review website and he has I would think almost a hundred boxes stored in ice chests with digital humidifiers.

On the cheap hygrometer thing: This isn't from decades of experience with dozens of brands or anything but I've tried a few and gathered lots of others' data and I find that cheap cigar hygrometers suck. Analog ones are hard to calibrate and rarely trustworthy; digital ones are ok but can be troublesome. However, non-cigar hygrometers tend to be great, even cheap analog ones; $3 Sunbeam hygrometers from the humidifier aisle at Walmart are consistent, if not well-labeled, and $8 digital ones from the same aisle are great (but bulky).

Top Bottom