What's new

halston z-14 v. 1-12

Got these both at TJ-max, cheap. Interested in the history- these scents both came out same time. Halston couldnt pick one of the two from many protypes so he put out both in same bottle design. Theyre both weak reformulations now but i wanted to try them and ive got little empty spray bottles off Amazon to use for replenishing. So far i prefer 1-12. Z-14 has a spiciness that reminds me of Givenchy Xeryus and Quorum that I dont prefer. 1-12 reminds me of Polo green bottle.

I picked up the 1-12 a few days ago at TJ Maxx. I really like it. I would consider it in the same vein of Grey Flannel, at least on the soapy dry down.. GF has a much stronger lead, being a violet-based scent. The 1-12 to me has more of an amber top leading to a more soapy clean smelling dry down. I was able to sample the Z-14 in the store because there was a bottle opened. Yes, it was more spicy, it screamed 70's to me, though I'm not sure I ever had experience with Halston before. I've read the vintage from the 70's is much better so I'm probably going to go for that off eBay as opposed to the new Elizabeth Arden version that they sell in TJ Maxx.

I picked up a bottle of z-14 (current formulation) yesterday. Going to try it today and see how it works for me. It is definitely a STRONG juice. This one might need some careful application.

I like 1-12 better myself, and it does say the 70 s to me, although I do wear if unironically even now, unlike, say, Aramis. I have not had the original in so long that I cannot really speak to it. I do not mind watered down. I do mind fundamental changes in the scent. I like Z-14 more than when it was released, but am still not a huge fan. These were very cutting edge scents at the time. But that was long ago. I would say they were hugely influential.

Top Bottom