What's new

The Winner's run has ended.

I have a no name razor simply marked "The Winner"
$DSCN1237.jpg

I honed this razor on film when I received it 11/5/13 and maintained it using only clean linen or hemp cloth component and leather strops. The razor seemed to really react well to the strops so I kept track of my shaves. Occasionally the razor would get some extra stropping if the edge was a little off. After 131 shaves I'm calling it as shave 130 pulled slightly, and after some extra stopping the keenness came back but shave 131 resulted in slight irritation that I'm not accustomed to. Viewing at 100x revealed that the 3/4" nearest the toe had some small chipping. The rest of the edge looked great. I could easily have kept shaving with this edge if I had not become an edge snob.

I attribute the longevity of the edge to a bit of luck and that the steel/temper seems to be slightly softer allowing the strops to really work well. I remember that the razor seemed to hone very easily.

Cool! If you havent yet, there is a real nice poly foam core "linen" material out there, Works great. Sold by Bigeasytools.com (no affiliation)It is better than any linen I ever used. I agree with you about the steel softness and stropping for sure. I got 94 shaves out of a gd 66 clean linen and leather.

I think 130 shaves would have been considered 'normal' back when shaving and honing wasn't dramatized to epic proporitions.
Comparatively - a cart lasts maybe a week and a DE blade more/less about the same.
So, 130 shaves is pretty cool, regardless of how you get there.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That's pretty cool.
Do you think you could have made it that far on leather only?

Top Bottom