What's new

Aftershave Hall of Shame

Are there any aftershaves that make you retch, your nostrils burn and your eyes water? While there are a lot of aftershaves that I do not particularly care for, a few that I find putrid and a couple that are downright offensive, there is one aftershave that I hold above all others for inducing that instant sinus headache. Pashana

Now I know that there are probably a lot of Pashana lovers on B&B...well...one or two at least. My disdain for Pashana has a bit of a story behind it. When I fist started out as a vendor, I was working out of the house. I had ordered a few cases of Pashana and one of the cases contained broken bottles that proceeded to leak all over the carpet. It took months to completely get rid of that pungent mix of Patchouli and powder.

What aftershave heads the list in your Hall of Shame and what is the story behind it?

I'll be the first to state the obvious...the veg!!! I didn't smell it first and proceeded to splash on a handful! Whew!

I too am among the un-chosen. The only other AS I cannot get my nose around is Barbasol Pacific Rush. So many of the new scents have a sea-breeze sweet note I don't care for at all, Barbasol's is down right annoying to me. I check out colognes when the wife takes me shopping, and most seem to have that sweet note, all the flavors of Polo are nauseating.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Um. The Veg. I keep blending it with other things to make it go away.

Dollar Store blue. Unique, and ... Not real good.

AA

Barbasol, in every form.

I love Skin Bracer, and I know Brisk is a copy of SB, but there's something in Brisk that just turns my nose. Too pungent.

And as much as I want to like Pacific Rush, for the menthol kick, I just can't get past the smell.

The Chinese made green and blue ones Dollar Tree sells. I can't describe those well, but I get a soapy smell from them.

Veg for me as well,and this is the same nasty synthetic civet scent as they used in the 60's...At one time the Veg was made with different ingredients,but my guess is the synthetic change came about in the 30's.....Tabac soap and cream smell great to me,but the aftershave / cologne smells like an old ladies purse in the 40's...Vito's Acquarelle should have traded names with Myrsol Plastic Shave.While it's wearable,it really does smell like liquid plastic,you can tell immediately this stuff is 100% synthetic...Aqua Velva ,both Euro and American versions "turn" on me,Myrsol and Floid Blues do not,and they are in the same fragrance profile...

Easy, Nivea!!!

The only aftershave that I have had to wash off quickly. It felt greasy and the smell was nauseating.
It bought forth images of hospital morgue and labs.

Luckily I found a coworker (or victim) who seemed to like the smell.

Fine's "Snake Bite". If I wanted the same eye-watering experience, but cheaper, I'd rub kimchi into my eyeballs. The sinus draining effects...I can get the same from Vicks Vapo Rub.

Easy, Nivea!!!

The only aftershave that I have had to wash off quickly. It felt greasy and the smell was nauseating.
It bought forth images of hospital morgue and labs.

Luckily I found a coworker (or victim) who seemed to like the smell.

Isn't Nivea an ASB? i.e. supposed to be balmy or greasy, and only requiring a tiny amount?

When I use an ASB I usually only use a drop about the size of a green pea otherwise they feel icky to me too. But a small amount is usually really good.

I have heard all about the legend of the Veg but have never experienced it personally.
Definitely polarizing. You either are chosen, or you hate it. There is little gray area. But it's definitely one you just try for yourself. I'm chosen and I love it!

Isn't Nivea an ASB?

Nivea makes several balms and one splash that I'm aware of. That's why Musikmann asked for clarification above. I personally enjoy the splash.

Top Bottom