What's new

Bad Shave Epiphany!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have to give a big thank you to Gott543 for his Cold Weather post. I am a few months in to DE shaving. I started on June. Starting last month, I started getting bad shaves. I was having some serious thoughts about going back to cartridges. I had another bad shave. It was about my third one of November. I happened to be on here and read a post about skin drying out and it hit me: My face is dried out! Just like your hands will split when they are dry, your face will cut easier. I have forced air heat and work in the cold. That was one thing. I also started using Proraso Menthol cream in addition to CC Bay Rum which has alcohol. That was another. I was cutting my neck all up. I had razor bumps and burn. It was terrible. I moisturized with nivea twice after my last bad shave. I followed it up with a weeks worth of Curel intense healing lotion and did not shave for that week. I went back to my TOBS sandalwood, badger brush(instead of my boar), alum block, and Nivea balm for tonight's shave. I used my 34c Merkur and a feather with 3 shaves on it. I had an awesome shave! Near BBS. I had few nicks where my face was still a bit dry but the alum took care of it. I also found. That I was starting the razor to my face wrong. I started the razor with the bar on my face then tilted to find the angle. I decided to start it with the cap on my face instead! Work so much better. I also tried a different grip on my touch up pass. Another member suggested to try holding the razor near the top instead. I can't remember who it was, but thank you. It worked great! It was definitely the most comfortable touch up pass I've ever had. I also used luke warm water instead of hot, as hot will dry the skin in winter. Thank you everyone, I'm back on track!

Adam

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Practice and patience will take you a long way. Good to hear you got it.

Living on the Colorado front range, where the humidity is frequently single digit and the wind blows most days, preshave oils are one of my best secrets. You will read a lot of pro & con on the B&B about PSO, but the bottom line is they are great at conditioning the SKIN before a shave, and have virtually nothing to do with slickness. Conditioned skin better conforms to the razor reducing irritation and frequently allowing a closer shave. Noxema, and probably most commercial moisturizers, also work great. Key to any preshave product is to apply sparingly, it should not interfere with your lather or leave an oil slick in the sink. You also have to get it on a few minutes before shaving to allow its magic to happen.

Top Bottom