What's new

I found a Sheraton today!

I picked this up at an antique mall on the way home from work. The price seemed pretty reasonable and it is in pretty good shape except it has a dropped knob. I've seen a few threads on this so I think it should be an easy enough fix. I assume it is safe to use as is, if not please let me know. I'm currently cleaning it up and reading up on how to fix it. I will let you know how it goes. Any tips or comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• $DSCF8389.jpg
    $DSCF8389.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 226
  • $DSCF8390.jpg
    $DSCF8390.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 225
  • $DSCF8391.jpg
    $DSCF8391.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 227
I have a Senator and really like the way it shaves. I believe the only difference between them is the color (gold vs. nickel), so you have a good one there.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
As long as the drop nob stays tight when it is closed, you should be good to go.

Thanks for the replies. Everything seems tight when closed, and it is cleaning up nicely. I think I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning. I'll get some pics tomorrow when the sun is up and I have better light.

Nice find!
A dropped knob is a pretty easy fix. But do be careful. I scratched the handle of a razor the first time I tried to fix one.
Good luck. That should clean up nice.

These are great shavers. I have a Sheraton and a Senator (with the dreaded "dropped knob"). There are several fixes that work well. Just fixed a NDC Superspeed with the tubing cutter method. Going to try the method that Alex posted earlier on the Senator. If you are an OC fan, this is one of the best. Great score!

Alex, is that a heavy duty paperclip? If so, did it fit properly, and not make the indentation larger? Your fix looks easier, and less likely to cause damage.
I had to find the proper sized copper wire, and carefully apply pressure, as I rotate the handle. I applied very little pressure, multiple times, until I got the desired results.

Thanks again for the replies. I tried it out this morning and got a very nice smooth close shave. I have a feeling it will make a very regular appearance in the rotation. If I don't stop buying razors I may have to find another head and face to shave.:001_rolle

It cleaned up pretty well I took it easy on polishing in fear of loosing the gold. I will try to get some after pics up after the sun comes up. One thing I'm curious about is the 2 tone coloring I've noticed this on a lot of pics I've seen. Is the middle of the handle plated in a different color? It looks almost like bare brass, but didn't seem tarnished enough to start with if so. It also seems strange that most of the gold is still at both ends (at least I think it is still the gold it looks to have thin spots with bare brass showing), but not a trace in the middle.

Bare brass. Gillette had very poor gold plating. There is also two different types of brass used in many razors, hence the two tone look. The color depends on the copper percentage in the brass.

Bare brass. Gillette had very poor gold plating. There is also two different types of brass used in many razors, hence the two tone look. The color depends on the copper percentage in the brass.
So are you saying it is all bare brass? I have a Tech and a NEW that are completely brassed out and they are also different colors. The doors look more gold to me, but I'm far from an expert. Maybe it has just had more cleanup than I realized. If it is all down to brass that is Ok it just means I can polish it up more. Also if I would have it re-plated in nickel would it become a Senator?

No, the head looks like it still has gold on it. I was just injecting a little useless trivia. As for the nickel plating, making it a Senator, I don't know.

Thanks! The useless trivia is half the reason I keep coming back here.:wink2:

Also Thanks everyone for the tips on the dropped knob, I may try to fix it this weekend if I get time. Or I may just keep using it as is for a while.

The After Pics.

Attachments

• $DSCF8395.jpg
    $DSCF8395.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 136
  • $DSCF8398.jpg
    $DSCF8398.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 136
  • $DSCF8400.jpg
    $DSCF8400.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 135
  • $DSCF8402.jpg