What's new

Feather Artist Club And Weck Sextoblade : Razors Of Genius!

You can find it on the bay quite easily. Same guy who is selling cjb and sam seong.

Marcus how is the finish of the greager ?
The rubberised handle feels like the same material as that of the Sam Seong and is of much better quality and finish than the hard plastic
handle of the CJB.
proxy.php

Also the Greager has the same double Spring design as the Feathers rather than the CJBs fragile single spring.

My concern when the Greager arrived was that one side of the jaws slid off the head very loosely and too easily for my liking, but this concern vanished when a blade was inserted and the jaws held very firmly.
Also the gripping edge of one side of the jaws was ever so slightly out of parallel with the other though again this was rectified when a blade was inserted.
All in all the Greager seems like a step up in quality from the CJB and for sure the price is right.
proxy.php

What blades does the greager use? Looks decent and affordable

Uses the same blades as the Artist Club razors.
And yes it seems very decent.

First shave with the Excelia this morning using a standard Feather Pro (4):
proxy.php

I'm very pleased to report that the shaving experience with the Excelia is noticeably different from the CJB and Sam Seong, so along with the IBC there are some real options.

The blade exposure on the Excelia is slightly less than the CJB (and I read somewhere that the shallower mild blades disappear completely in it) so it's a little less bitey.

And the grip is for me very different on the slightly longer handle - I started overthinking it and got in a mess but soon found an intuitive hold (I had exactly the same experience with the Cobra Classic).

The weight of the Excelia is in the handle making it pull back and making zero/negative pressure easier to achieve as well as making the head more responsive.

And the head is thinner than the CJB so that the whole thing is very nimble and manoeuvrable.
...And in the cold light of day it still looks like it fell of a spaceship [emoji3]

The rubberised handle feels like the same material as that of the Sam Seong and is of much better quality and finish than the hard plastic
handle of the CJB.
Also the Greager has the same double Spring design as the Feathers rather than the CJBs fragile single spring.

My concern when the Greager arrived was that one side of the jaws slid off the head very loosely and too easily for my liking, but this concern vanished when a blade was inserted and the jaws held very firmly.
Also the gripping edge of one side of the jaws was ever so slightly out of parallel with the other though again this was rectified when a blade was inserted.
All in all the Greager seems like a step up in quality from the CJB and for sure the price is right.
proxy.php

Uses the same blades as the Artist Club razors.
And yes it seems very decent.

thanks, what kind of blade is that on the greager? why the "wires" for lack of a better word? never seen that.

thanks, what kind of blade is that on the greager? why the "wires" for lack of a better word? never seen that.

It's a Feather Proguard - those wires are weird eh?
I think they're like training wheels.

I normally use the standard Feather Pros and Supers but this Proguard came with something I bought recently so I thought I'd give it a try.

I've been using the AC SS for the last week, and I have to admit I like the shave quite a bit. I was a bit afraid after the reviews of how sharp the blade is, but I wanted something for the days when I don't have time to strop or when I'm traveling.
1st use, I found the folding version to be intuitive, and very familiar to my straights, albeit with more emphasis on NO PRESSURE. Each shave gave great results, even a simple one pass was sufficient to get thru a day. Will not replace my straights, as I love the routine of stropping and prep, but will fill in the gaps where the schedule is too tight, or I got lazy and slept in. Still on the 1st blade, a pro guard, but will try the super pro next when this blade is worn out.

mjclark said:
proxy.php

Thanks for taking the time to give us your impressions. It really looks loke they have step up their game better quality for the sane price....

And I've just noticed a difference in the heads of the CJB and Greager.
The CJB has flat sides to the head like the AC RG whereas the Greager has a curved bevel on the sides of the head like the AC DX:
proxy.php

I don't know - was this a feature of the CJB?

I remember that they did try to offer the cjb in folding. I am not sure if it ever hit the market but a batch ended up being sold on one of the shaving forum having minor defect.

Someone demonstrated that you could peal the handle anput a new scale on it.

From a production management it makes sense to have one base and than add a scale / handle.

I am sure you could find it by googling cjb and folding.

Second shave with the Excelia and it is the true RADkiller!
proxy.php

I still want to try the kamisori style DX and Captain Standard but this Excelia has got me selling off my safety razors!

Another razor that takes the Feather Pro blades is the IBC.
I love this razor, it shaves like a dream and (like the Sextoblade) sits beautifully in the hand.
proxy.php

Mine initially had some issues of the plates of the head wiggling against each other, and the heel of a Feather Pro actually touches the scales when you close it (it also takes standard injector blades and half-DEs).

But I fixed the problem by putting a bit of convexity in one side of the head and now this is a near perfect Artist Club razor!
proxy.php

Greager with a Proguard this morning:
proxy.php

A very nice shave - those Proguard blades are definitely more forgiving but they still need some respect, and the Greager is just a pleasure to use.
The side plate is quite loose compared to the CJB I have but it still locks into place firmly with a blade in it, and the silicon handle is much nicer than the CJB.

Marcus,

Thank you for answering my questions on the Greager. I had my first shave with it Sunday night and it was fantastic. I really am not exaggerating when I say it may have been my best shave ever. I have had some straight shaves that were close, but this provided a super close and irritation free shave with a Feather Pro blade. I did mark my neck on a touchdown on lower neck and did nick behind earlobe, but boy oh boy was it a nice shave.

I hope I get good amount of shaves from the blades before having to switch.

A Weck Sextoblade is also inbound it has cream colored scales that look to be decent, so a quick clean and some Fromm or Personna blades and I will be looking to use it.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Marcus,

Thank you for answering my questions on the Greager. I had my first shave with it Sunday night and it was fantastic. I really am not exaggerating when I say it may have been my best shave ever. I have had some straight shaves that were close, but this provided a super close and irritation free shave with a Feather Pro blade. I did mark my neck on a touchdown on lower neck and did nick behind earlobe, but boy oh boy was it a nice shave.

I hope I get good amount of shaves from the blades before having to switch.

A Weck Sextoblade is also inbound it has cream colored scales that look to be decent, so a quick clean and some Fromm or Personna blades and I will be looking to use it.

Most people have acknowledge the longevity of those ac blades. Personnally i get between 12 and 20 shave with one blade.

The number varies as i am not consistantly doing the same number of passes. Sometimes 2 sometimes 1 with touchup...

Most people have acknowledge the longevity of those ac blades. Personnally i get between 12 and 20 shave with one blade.

The number varies as i am not consistantly doing the same number of passes. Sometimes 2 sometimes 1 with touchup...
Thank you fasa - very good to hear. If I can get 10 shaves out of a blade and more than 1/2 year out of a pack of blades that would make me very happy.

Back to the AC SS and a Schick Proline blade (thanks fasa!) this morning:
proxy.php

The Proline isn't as sharp as the Feather Pros (what is?) but it's very smooth and forgiving.

The perfect combination with the SS which is also very smooth and forgiving.

That magic bump makes the AC SS very misunderstood - it's not a "beginner's razor" or inferior to the DX, it just shaves radically differently.
Really it's a hybrid since the bump acts as a skin stretcher and pressure distributor so it doesn't feel or behave like a straight or normal shavette.
It requires a steeper angle and actually feels closer to a safety razor.

I think (a bit like the devette, and like the Sextoblade when it was first introduced) with the AC SS it's a new kind of shaving.
The AC SS is sometimes misunderstood because it's ahead of its time!

Back to the AC SS and a Schick Proline blade (thanks fasa!)

The AC SS is sometimes misunderstood because it's ahead of its time!

You are very welcome my friend :)

The reason i prefer the DX over the SS is for 3

reasons:
1. The DX jimps give me a better grip
2. I like the extra weight of the dx (53g vs 44g)
3. The prefer the dx balance which is less head heavy.

I have no problem with the head geometry.

Top Bottom