What's new

Feather ASD2

I have the AS-D2. I agree that it's mild but efficient. However, blade choice matters with this razor more than most, I've found.

It's one of the smoothest razors I've used (with the right blade). Deceptively smooth upon the first few uses. It irritated me more than my R 41 shaves ever did, at first, as you are almost tricked into using pressure. So smooth it almost feels as though you aren't shaving, but you are!

Once you dial in your technique (shaving angle is closer to 45 degrees, resist the temptation to add some pressure) and go through your blade sampling, it becomes a fantastic daily shaver.

The craftsmanship and build precision are fantastic and that's initially why I bought it.

My previous favorite was the R 41, but it's a dead heat right now. Not sure which is going to win my top spot for favorite razor!

AS-D2 is my go-to razor. I've tried them all, including ATT and iKon, and I kept the Feather.

For the person who wanted an OC version: James at Wolfman can make you an extra-mild version of his OC razor. That's my other daily driver. :)

I have the iKON Shavecraft Tech..but it's pretty aggressive at least to me. That says a lot if you have the iKON and ATT,but chose the Feather for your daily driver..Thanks!

Yeah like I said, despite loving my OC Deluxe and OSS, I still kind of want an AS-D2, though mostly because I seriously wanted one before trying iKon.

Your ShaveCraft Tech is very aggressive for an iKon, though - the OSS is quite mild (milder than my ShaveCraft 101 I think) and the OC Deluxe is perfect for me, FWIW.

At its current price the AS-D2 is sort of at a perfect storm of "good times to buy," too. Usually up around $160-$180, it's at ~$120 now.

Another thing you can do, since you have the ShaveCraft Tech, is order a ShaveCraft 101 base plate. It should work with the Tech cap and is an inexpensive way to get basically another razor. I really like the 101, it's a good solid daily shaver.

Actually it looks like he does not sell the base plates separately for those. Then again the whole head is only $50.

Okay, so with the Holiday deal, I just ordered the Feather DE from Seki. Should arrive this week... Woot! :w00t: Woot! Going to load a Feather blade and with a couple days growth, see how She does!

Rizzo

I really like my Feather AS-D2. Liked it so much that I was kind of afraid that I would use it exclusively, which bothered me because.....well, because I have RAD and I'm on B&B! Duh, right?

Anyway, after a long search I finally acquired a British Hybrid Tech (looks like a safety bar version of the raised flat bottom NEW), and it is essentially a vintage Feather AS-D2. Shaves almost exactly the same. Holds the blade securely clamped in the same way. Only it's MUCH cooler, because it's vintage and somewhat rare. So my poor AS-D2 bides its time in the drawer until some unknown day in the future when I suddenly, and for no apparent reason, pull it out and enjoy it again.

But it's really a good razor, and it's kind of sad that it gets no use in my den. Curses, RAD!!

My Feather AS-D2 was my second razor. Really, really impressed. I mostly use Feather blades but if I want to go even milder I'll use a Derby. I tend to use my more aggressive razors during the first part of the work week, then switch to my Feather for the last couple of shaves.

Is it really chrome plated? It sure doesn't look like it.

It's Mild. reasonably/somewhat efficient. VERY well made. Pairs very well with Feather blade.

I use it often as first pass then pass with a more aggressive razor thereafter for a great shave overall.

Compare it to the ATT M1 as the most comparable alternative.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/276524-Feather-stainless-and-bleach

Follow-on discussion also has people contacting the company and getting confirmation.

It's not a negative in any way. If anything, I think it makes it even better.

Wow, what a thread! Thanks for posting it.

I cringed, I laughed, but more importantly I learned a lot.

Not so sure how I feel about my previously thought of stainless steel Feather actually being coated with chrome, which is a bit of a negative in and of itself. But I'll get over it, I'm sure.

Top Bottom