What's new

Recommendations for a lather bowl

Hey gents. I have been face lathering exclusively and would like to give bowl lathering a try. I would just use a coffee mug but they are too small. Any recommendations? Lather ridges and depth are a plus in my opinion. Thanks!

Captain's Choice regular size. $cc.png

I recommend a Geo Bowl from Shave Nation or a Dirty Bird Pottery Bill Bowl.
Both are a great size and are easy to hold. The handle on the Bill Bowl also serves as a brush rest which
is nice and convenient.

I recommend a Geo Bowl from Shave Nation or a Dirty Bird Pottery Bill Bowl.
Both are a great size and are easy to hold. The handle on the Bill Bowl also serves as a brush rest which
is nice and convenient.

Usascot, have you used or seen in person a Dirty Bird Pottery Soap bowl? It's cheaper than the bill bowl but I'm wondering if it would be too small. Thanks!

Just pick up a large soup/cereal bowl locally. I have one, as well as the fine ridged lather bowl - and there really isn't much difference with/without ridges imho. (The fine bowl isn't very deep)

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 129
I've got a Georgetown pottery clone bowl and it's great, but actually a bit on the big side. I had a Schone pottery lather bowl which was ideal until I shattered it on the bathroom floor. To avoid the shattering I picked up one of those hammered copper lather bowls, but I'm not all that pleased with it. I recommend ceramics over metal.

Usascot, have you used or seen in person a Dirty Bird Pottery Soap bowl? It's cheaper than the bill bowl but I'm wondering if it would be too small. Thanks!

Haven't seen the soap bowl. It must be a more recent offering. I've had my Bill Bowl a few years. It measures 4.5 inches wide.
When I use my bowl, I build the lather right in the bowl. If you do this, you need a little width and depth.

Dirty Bird Pottery.
Multiple color choices, high quality look & feel to the products & the owner is a true pleasure to do business with. The shape of the bowl prevents the lather from climbing out, and it works very well.
$20151127_155059.jpg
$20151127_155130a.jpg

Soap bowl & lathering bowl.
I wouldn't say the soap bowl is too small, although the bill bowl is better suited to lathering.
$20151127_160557.jpg

Very happy with my Georgetown G20. Even that isn't quite "big" with my Simpson Chubby 3. The biggest benefit over a simple bowl, IMHO, is the heat retention due to the double-walled ceramic construction.

Get a dip warmer/chiller, they are about $12 or so in Canada. Ceramic, and you use it like a scuttle. Hot water in the base, you can soak your brush, and then lather in the top.

It's a bit smaller than you are wanting but I'm in love with my dollar tree salsa bowl (2 for a dollar). They are great for holding samples- I own 6!

Top Bottom