What's new

The all inclusive list of shaving myths

But the opposite end of the spectrum is also true - who would want to pay $ 50.00 for a No. 2 lead pencil?
Chances are that the brain surgery you'd get for $ 2.00 is pretty poor, despite it being a bargain, and I doubt a $ 50.00 No. 2 lead pencil would perform leaps and bounds better than a twenty-five cent one.

While I definitely agree with your various points, I saw the bit about $50 pencil and I counter with the opinion that a Rotring 800 lead holder that uses 2mm leads is absolutely AMAZING to sketch with, whereas a $0.25 pencil won't given anywhere near the same performance. For applications outside of drafting and art (or for those who do better with thinner leads) I definitely agree that there wouldn't be any real difference.

But I'm one of those people that would willingly spend $73 CAD on what amounts to a pencil because of how versatile it is (that and the fact comfortable to use large lead holders have a relatively small selection in the grand scheme of things), but I'm beyond hamfisted when it comes to anything smaller than a 1.3mm lead (aka I break them WAY too often, especially if it's 0.7mm or thinner)

In some ways, our costs are even lower. While any modern razor I'd have purchased over the past decade has no retail value, I'm sure that almost every DE razor I've bought over that time is worth even more today. In some ways, I can think of the razors as an investment (at least that's the line I feed my wife when I buy yet another).

I agree. Every Gillette razor in my modest collection now brings higher prices on closed deals on ebay than I paid for it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
While I definitely agree with your various points, I saw the bit about $50 pencil and I counter with the opinion that a Rotring 800 lead holder that uses 2mm leads is absolutely AMAZING to sketch with, whereas a $0.25 pencil won't given anywhere near the same performance. For applications outside of drafting and art (or for those who do better with thinner leads) I definitely agree that there wouldn't be any real difference.

But I'm one of those people that would willingly spend $73 CAD on what amounts to a pencil because of how versatile it is (that and the fact comfortable to use large lead holders have a relatively small selection in the grand scheme of things), but I'm beyond hamfisted when it comes to anything smaller than a 1.3mm lead (aka I break them WAY too often, especially if it's 0.7mm or thinner)

Clarification

In a way, you kind of make my point in that a Rotring 800 lead holder is not a No. 2 lead pencil, and while you would spend the money on Rotring 800 lead holder because of it's performance, you wouldn't spend $ 50.00 on a No. 2 lead pencil because the higher price doesn't mean it performs better.

My point was mainly that a $ 50.00 No. 2 lead pencil doesn't perform better than a 25 cent one.

I used the concept of a No.2 lead pencil because it came to mind first, but I can see it's perhaps not the best example I could have used to express similar performance with extreme difference in cost.

Under your methodology, the cost of the brush and the razor should be spread out over 3 years. If this is all about price, traditional shaving is $51 per year or half the price cartridge shaving. If traditional is more expensive, it's because you're comparing the cost of a hobby to the cost of a generic activity. Eating at home should be cheaper than going out. However, filet mignon at home is more expensive than McDonalds.

Bill- I mean passing a razor forward so that someone who has never vintage shaved will have a chance. When I gift to someone a Super Speed razor-they get new blades and a can of aerosol Barbasol so that they want of nothing to begin... One doctor at work is now a Super Speed kind-o-guy! My twin brother has begun to use a double edge razor from a lifetime of electric shaving, and he got a 1954 Z1 Flare Tip for his birthday. His son Ethan will be getting a steel handled Black Tip Super Speed for Christmas. My brother has finally repented from the electric razor, may it rest in peace...God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Under your methodology, the cost of the brush and the razor should be spread out over 3 years. If this is all about price, traditional shaving is $51 per year or half the price cartridge shaving. If traditional is more expensive, it's because you're comparing the cost of a hobby to the cost of a generic activity. Eating at home should be cheaper than going out. However, filet mignon at home is more expensive than McDonalds.

Clarification

I'm merely comparing costs of items. I provided information where you could extrapolate the cost over 3, or 5 or however many years you'd like - with the concession that at some point equipment may wear out.

Over 3 years, my figures show
Cost of DE shaving spread across 3 years = $ 57.76 per year
Cost of cart shaving spread across 3 years = $ 102.27 per year

You may choose to believe those figures or not, as you please.

Last edited:
Clarification

In a way, you kind of make my point in that a Rotring 800 lead holder is not a No. 2 lead pencil, and while you would spend the money on Rotring 800 lead holder because of it's performance, you wouldn't spend $ 50.00 on a No. 2 lead pencil because the higher price doesn't mean it performs better.

My point was mainly that a $ 50.00 No. 2 lead pencil doesn't perform better than a 25 cent one.

I used the concept of a No.2 lead pencil because it came to mind first, but I can see it's perhaps not the best example I could have used to express similar performance with extreme difference in cost.

Good point. Most I'll pay for anything that isn't a really nice lead holder (aka it's just a regular pencil) is probably $5 CAD, although right now it's closer to $2.50 CAD at most since I'm more than happy with my current brand.

Clarification

I'm merely comparing costs of items. I provided information where you could extrapolate the cost over 3, or 5 or however many years you'd like - with the concession that at some point equipment may wear out.

Over 3 years, my figures show
Cost of DE shaving spread across 3 years = $ 57.76 per year
Cost of cart shaving spread across 3 years = $ 102.27 per year

You may choose to believe those figures or not, as you please.
Good analysis.:thumbup1:

Bill- I mean passing a razor forward so that someone who has never vintage shaved will have a chance. When I gift to someone a Super Speed razor-they get new blades and a can of aerosol Barbasol so that they want of nothing to begin... One doctor at work is now a Super Speed kind-o-guy! My twin brother has begun to use a double edge razor from a lifetime of electric shaving, and he got a 1954 Z1 Flare Tip for his birthday. His son Ethan will be getting a steel handled Black Tip Super Speed for Christmas. My brother has finally repented from the electric razor, may it rest in peace...God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Do we see future B&B members?

Perhaps, with my brother Tim, Alex. I have hope in that department. One of the doctors at work frequents the site, but has not joined. The rest were flashes in the pan if you will, except for Keendogg, who is very active here. He is a father, so the tradition will continue! God Bless! Happy thanksgiving! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Perhaps, with my brother Tim, Alex. I have hope in that department. One of the doctors at work frequents the site, but has not joined. The rest were flashes in the pan if you will, except for Keendogg, who is very active here. He is a father, so the tradition will continue! God Bless! Happy thanksgiving! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
They may need a little persuasion:laugh:

Here are a few that I've seen come up recently that might be fun to explore:

Blooming your soap will make it less effective over time.
There is no difference between blooming a soap and using a wetter brush.
There is no need to soak badger brushes, as they trap all the water they can in 10 seconds.

Top Bottom