What's new

Soap Consistency?

What type of Soap do you prefer?

• Hard Soap (Triple Milled or the like)

• 'Italian' Soft Soap (Croap)

• Somewhere In Between

Results are only viewable after voting.
All things considered (performance was the same in all aspects of the soap), would you prefer a hard soap, a soft soap (croap - like a lot of shaving cream soaps), or somewhere in between?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Hard. I've got a few soft soaps I use occasionally but over 90% of the time I'll pick up a hard soap.

I tend to like harder soaps, but there are a few softer soaps where performance is good and in a scent I like.

I have products in all three categories that I really like. However, I would have to lean toward hard soap because it seems like it would have more longevity. If I'm wrong about that, I'll happily change my vote to "all three".

All things being equal I would want my soap to be a HARD soap. I think just because in my head good soap is hard (at least hard enough to hold its shape. If the soap is soft I would like it to be in a larger tub and at least firm enough to resist light pressure from my thumb.

All that said, most soaps in my den are in tubs and not hard enough to be made into pucks and stay in shape. Some are at best firm play dough.

I have messed around with making my own soap and have made s few good hard soaps BUT softer soaps varieties are easier to come up with.

I voted for hard soaps. I think they are an interesting part of the hobby and the tradition. I figure I could use one and put it away for a year, and not worry about it.

That said, there are so many artisan croaps that I am enjoying, with very unique scents.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I tend to prefer the harder soaps, just because., but I also have several creams and I like them just as well.

I'm going with hard soap. Mostly because that's what I buy.
I'd consider Arko a hard soap but it's far from as hard as the quad-milled PdP.

Triple milled, hard, soft or otherwise really doesn't matter - it's what works.

Given the choice, I would prefer a hard puck of soap to a tub of croap. Unfortunately, all of the artisan soaps that I have used have been croaps, except for DR Harris. It's a shame, because I would love to see more artisans producing nice triple milled soaps.

With creams, I have the opposite preference. I have poor results with thicker creams, so I prefer the "creamy" creams.

Top Bottom