What's new

Special sides- it isn't all about the turkey

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So, what special sides are you making? We are having the normal turkey (got it smoked this year), and the wife is making the dressing. I am making my homemade cranberry sauce with mandarin oranges and chopped walnuts. I am also boiling a couple pounds of red potatoes, 4 parsnips, and 2 rutabagas. When the are soft I will mash them with 8 oz of cream cheese, real butter, and milk.

So, what sides do you enjoy making?

Yam Casserole
Puree the Yams, add brown sugar, candies walnuts a pinch of flour, tad of cinnamon 1 egg, bake, add mini marshmallows at the end for a quick broil make, Sprinkle with some more candies walnuts, makes a very light almost souffle like version of regular sweet potatos

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yam Casserole
Puree the Yams, add brown sugar, candies walnuts a pinch of flour, tad of cinnamon 1 egg, bake, add mini marshmallows at the end for a quick broil make, Sprinkle with some more candies walnuts, makes a very light almost souffle like version of regular sweet potatos
Sounds great.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I Like your take on the potato, parsnip rutabagas, may have to try that for new Years
I stole it from Paula Deen about 5 years ago. It is really good. Oh, don't peel the potatoes.

Dressing is is in the oven, along with the turkey I had smoked. Almost all done.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Every Fall my father makes a Latvian-styled sauerkraut. We always have some cooked down with an apple, caraway seeds, and a little bit of brown sugar as a side-dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Italian dressing. Ingredients: Sausage, chopped meat, onions, garlic, mushrooms, white raisins, pine nuts, egg, bread crumbs, chicken stock, and parmesan cheese. Been in our family for years.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My stepdaughter fries up a bunch of bacon ends (you can buy them cheap) with onions and garlic, then adds green beans and crushed tomatoes. A good, easy dish. Today I engaged on one of the best things about Thanksgiving- making turkey sandwiches.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Italian dressing. Ingredients: Sausage, chopped meat, onions, garlic, mushrooms, white raisins, pine nuts, egg, bread crumbs, chicken stock, and parmesan cheese. Been in our family for years.

I might try that sans mushrooms. I haven't been able to eat those things since about the age of 5. I really wish I could eat them without wanting to gag.

YES, The Turkey Sandwich!!

Here is mine

White, Bread, mayonnaise, Celery salt, Pepper, Garlic salt, a layer of Stuffing, a spread of Cranberry sauce, chunks of Dark Meat Turkey. Devour:lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
YES, The Turkey Sandwich!!

Here is mine

White, Bread, mayonnaise, Celery salt, Pepper, Garlic salt, a layer of Stuffing, a spread of Cranberry sauce, chunks of Dark Meat Turkey. Devour:lol:
Mine are simple- bread, mayo, and turkey. I will put cranberry sauce and stuffing on the side, though. I may give the celery and garlic salt a try- if I add anything else to the sandwich it is pepper.

I might try that sans mushrooms. I haven't been able to eat those things since about the age of 5. I really wish I could eat them without wanting to gag.

They are diced so you won't have a problem with it. They help with the consistency.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They are diced so you won't have a problem with it. They help with the consistency.

I can't even take the smell of mushrooms. It is weird, because my grandmother used to fry up mushrooms and make mushroom sandwiches, which I would eat. A switch in me flipped, and I haven't been able to eat them since I was 5 or 6.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I avoided mushroom soup for 40 years because the smell of it made me feel sick when I was a kid. Tried some last year. I love the stuff now.

Top Bottom