What's new

From Russia With Love

Ooo la la I'm in LOVE! With Russian blades that is. I've tried 10 different blades so far and it's clear to me that the Russian blades blow the others out of the water. The others I've tried are Derby, Crystal, Bic Chrome Ultra, 7 O'Clock Black, SuperMax Titanium, and Treet Platinum Super Stainless. While the SuperMax and Treet gave great shaves, the Russians give me an unbelievably close yet smooth shave. Ladas, Astra SP, PolSilver, and Voskhod are all wonderful blades, and so far it's a shootout between PolSilver & Voskhod, and I haven't even gotten to the Gillette SilverBlue yet.
I'm really amazed at how close my shave is yet zero irritation. It's almost magical really. I've got to believe that with all the love the Russian blades get here I can't be the only one who feels this way. I would be happy using any one of these Russian blades for life, and I'm pretty sure either PolSilver or Voskhod will be the only blade for me. That is unless this box of Personna med preps doesn't get in the way of true love...

Feel free to chime in.

After trying the Russians, I am giving up on my Feathers and Indian blacks. Probably unload try to unload them sometime soon.

The Gillette Silver Blue is my standard for daily shaving and when testing a new razor. I have a few more Russians I got in a sampler to test in the coming weeks. Looking forward to some great shaves.

I picked up some GSBs and they're not bad. I would pick med preps or feathers over them, personally.

Polsilvers are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, will try those next.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I very much love Polsilver SI, Nacet, and Gillette Rubie blades.

I also very much love Israeli Personna Reds and Japanese Feathers.

I'm liking my PolSilvers and Voskhods a lot! But they still don't beat Feather for me. Still, YMMV. I'll definitely be buying more PolSilver SI and Voskhods.

Jury is still out on Rapira for me, need more shaves.

Did not like GSBs.

For the money they cost, Nacet blades seem to me to be the best value in Russian blades. But vintage Schick stainless steel blades are very good if well preserved. Feather blades are the finest modern blades, but cost a bit more, well worth the price in my opinion. YMMV!

Have tried Astra so far and Voskhod and Gillette 7 o'clock are waiting for it's turn. Hope to be as satisfied as you are.

My cupboard is filled with Russian blades (Polsilver; Rubie; Nacet; Voskhod) but on a whim I got a 5 pack of the new Lord Platinum from Egypt. Great Blade. Maybe, just maybe, not quite as smooth as the Polsilver; but maybe, just maybe, sharper than the Polsilver. In any case, with my eyes closed I am certain that I could not tell the difference between the Lord Platinum and my favorite Russian blades. It is that good, and at $11/100 on Amazon the Lord Platinum is a great buy. Picked up 200 last week. Nice

Russian blades are terrific. In fact, several are in the running for my current razor: Astras, GSB and Nacets.

However, others in the race are serious contenders: Personna reds and labs as well as Feathers and Kai's.

Lots of great options IMHO! :thumbup1:

I gotta add Sputnik to the list of fine Russian blades as my personal favorite. With Ladas and Voskhod tied for a close second. Rapira stainless is also pretty good.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
CigarSmoka:
I rated these three (3) blades as;

1) Voshod - Awesome

2) Rapira Super Stainless - Very Nice

3) Ladas - Very Good

Note: I found Sputniks to be OK with slight pulling / tugging, plus a touch of burn and itching. :blushing:

However, I found Voskhod (my one & only 'go-to'), blade to be 'awesome', moderately sharp (almost as sharp as a KAI, but much smoother & cheaper), forgiving and perfect with no pulling or tugging, very, very smooth, (albeit a 'weeper' now & then..but zero 'nicks'), no irritation and/or razor burn that 99.9% of the time results in CCS's in 2 passes (WTG, CTG...w/ touch-ups), with 2 great shaves per blade (I shave every-other day with Saturdays as my shaving 'day off').

They are also very compatible with both of my Merkur 38C (home), and vintage (W-2 Date Code: 1951), Gillette Tech (travel), cutting head paired with a vintage [1932's circa I believe]), Durham Duplex 3in Handle.
proxy.php

In closing, Voskhod blades are a perfect balance of sharpness (moderate), smoothness (awesome)] and price (sweet)! :w00t:

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/sh...product=211221

proxy.php
"Dа...Время от времени, лезвие может быть между фокусами и изумление". Aнонимный (Translation...“Yes...at times, a razor blade can be between gimmickry and amazement". Anonymous

My current favorite blades that I was willing to buy in bulk all come from the same Russian factory: Polsilver, GSB and Nacets. I had high hopes for a great cheap blade in the Rapira Platinum Lux, but my tuck has the one-bad-edge problem discussed here.

Top Bottom