What's new

As a relative noob, the variety is quashing my education

I blame this completely on myself for lacking better control, but I can't help it. There is too many wonderful soaps to try. I SHOULD dial in to a particular soap and use it for weeks if not months. This would teach me a lot about that soap. Then, changing nothing else, I should switch to a different soap. I'd learn tons.

BUT, thats not what I do at all. I now have several wonderful soaps and I tend to rotate them.

How about picking the soap you have the least of, and finishing that one, then going to the next one that is smallest... That would allow time to get acclimated to each soap.

I believe that your assessment is absolutely correct; but, as long as you are enjoying the journey, don't sweat it: over time you will master the products that you use.

I believe that your assessment is absolutely correct; but, as long as you are enjoying the journey, don't sweat it: over time you will master the products that you use.
+1. Its all about enjoying your shave. If rotation is your thing (it is for me too) then more power to you and be darned with education.

There may come a time down the road where you want to really experience a product and use it multiple times in a row, but until that happens i wouldn't push the issue.

I blame this completely on myself for lacking better control, but I can't help it. There is too many wonderful soaps to try. I SHOULD dial in to a particular soap and use it for weeks if not months. This would teach me a lot about that soap. Then, changing nothing else, I should switch to a different soap. I'd learn tons.

BUT, thats not what I do at all. I now have several wonderful soaps and I tend to rotate them.

I'm still trying to use up stuff I bought 6-7 years ago. Don't overdo it.

They say variety is the spice of life. My thoughts are find the one you like the most and use it until you are tired of it. I have my moods and stick with one for a while but I have had an opportunity in trying many soaps from many different soap makers thanks to one of our kind fellow B&B brothers. I try to use my soap depending on mood and weather plus what pairs with my colognes too. So I try and mix things up... But above all else if you are having lather inconsistencies then find one that works and stick with it until you know you are good.

If I ever have a terrible day getting a lather I always come to ARKO as its soo easy to lather. You can't really mess up with ARKO as it is the easiest soap to work with. Now too much water or too little product still makes a difference but ARKO is always there when its my bad day. Arko certainly isn't my daily or my preferred but it is a proven that works for me no matter what.

Everyone talks about not finishing a soap and having soap until 3017 and I know what that means but at some point you have to relax and stick with what works until you are in the mood to try something new. A friend of mine told me after I have reached my decent inventory that I have I should relax and just enjoy what I have and not buy a new soap until I finish one I have tried to hold true to that with the exception of picking up 3 pucks of NOS AOS Sandalwood. So needless to say I try to stop buying but let me say that all these enablers here make it hard :lol:. I am done for awhile but I do have several soaps that I will add when I get through some of my inventory. Okay enough of my rambling.

My vote do what makes you HAPPY. From a Fellow NOOB!

Thanks for all the support. I really am having a lot of fun (and getting great shaves taboot), so I guess I shouldn't be sweating it. I do think though that I have quite a variety now and should stop buying new stuff for a little while (except for NOS AOS sandlewood just like the poster before me said. Gotta get those while still possible;)

Look at it a different way - do you drink the same beer every time, do you eat the same breakfast every time, do you use the same razor or blade or brush or AS every time, do you wear the same shirt every day, .... variety is great and keeps me getting up in the morning.

Look at it a different way - do you drink the same beer every time, do you eat the same breakfast every time, do you use the same razor or blade or brush or AS every time, do you wear the same shirt every day, .... variety is great and keeps me getting up in the morning.

That a great way to look at it. Interestingly however, i use to try out many blades, but since finding Astra SP have had no urge to change. Weird in retrospect

Good tip. A lot of us get into this and then want to buy everything in sight. Been there and done that.

I have started 3017'ing creams and soaps and aftershaves. Resisting temptation to replace.

I have about a 3 year supply of each, but no more space, so I am just using stuff up slowly.

How about picking the soap you have the least of, and finishing that one, then going to the next one that is smallest... That would allow time to get acclimated to each soap.

I am going to do this at least once and see how it goes. I have a small jar of NY Shaving Company shaving cream which is getting a little dry, so I'll start there. That jar is about 6-10 shaves from being finished and I really like their stuff so far, so I think I should be able to handle finishing that :). Thanks for the good idea

If you have not yet tried Arko, do so. It is cheap honest soap that lathers well. The fragrance (or smell, or odor, or whatever one would call it) is simply the smell of old-time soap. You will like it or you will not. Once you have tried Arko, it could come to pass that no other soap will do. All the others would be relegated to rotation until depleted. Your newfound strange hobby will become inexpensive.

Let's here it for variety! I have yet to completely finish a puck and I don't care if I ever do. There's so much out there to try and it's fun.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You can always follow my path.... buy buy buy and but some more. Then stop buying but trade non-soap items for more soap (buy, hey, you didn't buy more soap! :tongue_sm), and the start 3017ing the lot once you realize you can foll a moving truck with soap.

When you're just starting out, consistency helps a great deal. That said, once your technique is solid - having a nice stable of soaps adds to the experience. I always look forward to choosing the soap of the day.

Amazing how long this stuff lasts eh? Just use what you have and enjoy the journey. I have found I enjoy my shaves much more using one product at a time. I generally try to use one soap 6 days a week until it is gone and switch off on Sunday just to add some variety. You will be surprised at what you can get a soap to do.

Top Bottom