What's new

Nib PIF (Noob Trio)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Happy Thanksgiving, Ladies and Gents!

This wasn't meant to be a Thanksgiving PIF, but I figured no time is better than the present. I have a trio of fountain pens to PIF.

The first pen is a Jinhao 750X. This pen was acquired from a PIF. It is a reasonable pen that lays down a fairly thick line. It is generally reliable, but has a tendency to skip every now and again.

The second pen is a Hero 616. I guess it's modeled after the Parker 21. It's a very inexpensive pen, but I initially didn't want to get rid of it because it worked so well. It lays down a fine line (in my opinion, an extra fine line) but I've found it to be wet enough to give a consistent flow of ink. I'll be picking up another when I place my next FP purchase.

The third pen is an Esterbrook J-series pen with a 1551 nib. This pen was also PIFed to me. The nib is stated as a "Firm Medium" nib for "General school and clerical use, student." I found a lot of enjoyment from this pen. The nib is very particular to the sweet spot that makes it write the best. A tiny little change in positioning turns the nib from scratchy and harsh to buttery smooth. I'm not positive, but I think that's why it's considered a student pen. For me, it really helped in recognizing the proper angle and technique to use while holding a pen.

$NIB PIF 2015-11-26.jpg

This PIF is not exclusive to nib noobs (although, they are pens geared more toward beginners). Anyone is welcome!
This PIF is international!
If the winner has no FP ink, I will supply a few ink samples and a Field Notes notebook as well. (I haven't checked USPS shipping guidelines yet, but if the PIF is won by an international member, I may have to forgo the ink samples).

To enter:
You must have 50 posts by the time of the drawing.
Post, "I'm in," or anything that effectively lets me know that you are participating.

This PIF will not accept entries after Thursday, December 3rd, at 3:00pm (EST).
I will pick the winner by Random Number Generator by 12/03 @ 10pm (EST).
The winner will be notified via PM and will have 72 hours to reply.

I just wanted to say, "Thanks!" to everyone on this site. It's truly a great community to be a part of!

Last edited:
Awesome PIF and very generous, Claudel!

I'm not a Noob and not in, but I really appreciate everyone who makes contributions like this to the B&B community. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom