What's new

Help - Can't chop onions for Thanksgiving side dish.

Anyone have a good trick for avoiding eye burn from onions? I am trying to cut up a bunch of shallots to french fry and then mix in with string beans for tomorrow, but this is murdering my eyes. I don't remember it ever being so painful! I tried moving the cutting board to the stove and turning on the Microwave vent fan but it's not helping. My window is open as well.

Chill em first, use a sharp knife so you can work quickly, wear goggles. If necessary, cut em into pieces and put em under cold water then chop the smaller pieces quickly and put the chopped ones into a covered bowl and take a break when necessary. Or use a food processor. Most important is to chill them well and use them fresh.

Last edited:
Totally forgot that I have goggles in a closet somewhere. Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up getting through it by taking long breaks. Next time I will prepare better, as it seems my eyes are particularly sensitive to this.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Tuck a wet towel into your collar so it hangs down over your chest. This works for me.

You can also snort some wasabi powder. You won't even notice the onions.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Probably sacrilegious in a knife forum, but I find a food processor works well for this.
Not as far as I'm concerned. Work smarter, not harder.

My son says to chew mint gum. He doesn't recall where he heard it, but he reports trying it with success.

Have you tried this?

$onions.png

Top Bottom