What's new

Dr. Who

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
$1094216.1.high.jpg

Hands down the best thing on Telly right now.
And we've got a smashing thread for it also :)

I agree (on both counts). Current version is too scary for my little one, so we're starting with Tom Baker, rather than Jon Pertwee. I thought the Autons just might scar her for life.

I agree (on both counts). Current version is too scary for my little one, so we're starting with Tom Baker, rather than Jon Pertwee. I thought the Autons just might scar her for life.
I watched "Blink" with my then 14 year old daughter and it scared the snot out of her. She is now 21 and just mentioning Weeping Angels still gives her the willies!

I watched "Blink" with my then 14 year old daughter and it scared the snot out of her. She is now 21 and just mentioning Weeping Angels still gives her the willies!

There is a house in my neighborhood with a ton of angel statues in the yard. Every time I pass it, I want to scream "do you have a death wish or something???!!!!"

My wife and I also have an understanding that she will stare at them as we drive past so I can concentrate on driving.

Many of the early Doctor Who episodes (especially from the Troughton era) were destroyed in a BBC purge, and the broadcasts may be lost forever. Sometimes they find stashes in far flung BBC outposts, but by and large, there are big video gaps in the canon. Fortunately, the audio exists, and I was very happy to discover that the audio recordings were adapted to dramatized audio books of sorts. I'm listening to Troughton's first episode, Power of the Daleks, and it's a real treat.

I have gone back and watched some of Troughton's episodes. They were great! Even watched some of the remade ones that used photos. Even with then they were engaging. A great Doctor for sure. Where did you find the audio books?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The first couple seasons of Pertwee were also largely lost in The Great Purge ... that's why they showed them in B&W in re-runs; because they only existed in B&W copies that were sent overseas and held onto somewhere. (I believe a lot have now been recovered/restored to their original glory.)

I have gone back and watched some of Troughton's episodes. They were great! Even watched some of the remade ones that used photos. Even with then they were engaging. A great Doctor for sure. Where did you find the audio books?

I found the ones I downloaded on iTunes, but I imagine they are available straight from Audible as well.

The Power of the Daleks is very good, Doak. I have to say that the voices of the Daleks without the visual is mighty disturbing.

Top Bottom