What's new

Parmigiano-Reggiano tools

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
What is your favourite tool for grating Parmigiano-Reggiano?

Some people, myself included, buy the pre-grated containers. These probably have extra anti caking ingredients and probably are not all that fresh. Some folk who are lucky enough can have their local market grind it from a fresh chunk they pick out. Freshly grated must be better right?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mike, I bought a handle held grater (not a micro plane) that works great with a wedge of parm cheese. We use it all the time and it puts out a nice little cheese kernel.

I got Microplane because of their interesting background story and the resulting very functional food grating file. In fact I got the 4 different styles in their 'premium classic' format.

Another thing I found very nice for cheese work is a knife set from Wusthof in their 'classic' design which included a very short parrot beak blade for cutting into hard dry cheese. The blades Parm: # 3109, Hard cheese: # 3103, and Soft Cheese: # 3102, the set # 2103

...and, oh, yes; having fresh cheese from a slice of a heritage wheel product can be a very remarkable experience all on it's own.

Last edited:
Which exact Microplane model is best for parmigiano? Sorry to hijack but folks here seem to know.

There is daylight between what you will buy packaged and the flavour of freshly grated Parmesan. Depending on the required use, grana cheese can be broken into chunks, grated with a microplane or more substantial grater or even shaved with a vegetable peeler.

The correct tool depends on usage.. I microplane that shaves thin slivers is great for adding to the top of dishes whereas a fine grater (I have a fine grater with a wooden box) is good for mixing into dishes. I've spent 6 months in Italy this year and both fine graters and microplanes are available in supermarkets. Also pre-grated cheeses feature alongside the big blocks and you can find a blend of grana, pecorino and parmegano amongst them. Hey, if the the Italians do it!

Last edited:
I just use the fine side of the grater box. The same one everyone has in their cupboard.
I do love me some parm. If i'm going to be just eating it, then I'll use the appropriate cheese knife for hard cheese.
I have a Trudeau set of cheese knives and I'm telling you it's a good thing to have all your bases covered.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The correct tool depends on usage.. I microplane that shaves thin slivers is great for adding to the top of dishes whereas a fine grater (I have a fine grater with a wooden box) is good for mixing into dishes. I've spent 6 months in Italy this year and both fine graters and microplanes are available in supermarkets. Also pre-grated cheeses feature alongside the big blocks and you can find a blend of grana, pecorino and parmegano amongst them. Hey, if the the Italians do it!
Ah, pecorino- my favorite Italian cheese

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I discovered this grater about four years ago, and haven't looked back. Works amazingly well on hard cheeses, ginger, even things like nutmeg and cinnamon.

I have one very similar. Only ever used it for ginger, it leaves all the stringy fibres behind. Never thought of using it on cheese, will give it a go.

$20151128_162547.jpg

Top Bottom