What's new

Microfiber cloth for wiping off shoes

I recently bought a four-pack of polyester microfiber cloths for use in my car, but they won't suit the purpose I intended them for. I recalled recently that there is advice out there to wipe down one's shoes with a microfiber cloth at the end of the day. Assuming these are completely unused and unsoiled, would this suffice to use on my shoes or is a better/different quality of material called for?

If it matters, the cloths are colored in various bright colors (yellow, blue, orange, and green) but are not impregnated with any kind of lotion/liquid/whatever.

Thanks!

detailed cars for years. most good microfiber come from korea. most cheap ones are sold at wal mart and such. try for the softest and you should be ok. I use them all the time on my boots with no problem.

Personally I use a horsehair brush for daily brush-downs, and a bit of old nylon stocking for quick touch-ups on my shined shoes. The advantage of a brush versus a cloth is that you're not risking grinding down any dust or particles into the leather. Won't really hurt though.

I'm kind of curious as to how the clothes won't serve their purpose in the car, they're clothes, that's pretty universal, ha.

I'm kind of curious as to how the clothes won't serve their purpose in the car, they're clothes, that's pretty universal, ha.
I appreciate your comments about the horsehair brush. I'm certainly going to get one for polishing (aside -- any tips on which one to get?).

To answer your question about the clothes, I bought them to wipe down the inside windshield after a pollen-filled summer. I used one, but that didn't help as much as I would've liked, so I defaulted back to glass cleaner and newspaper/coffee filters. The results were much better. The upside is that I now have three remaining microfiber cloths to brush off my shoes with!

I appreciate your comments about the horsehair brush. I'm certainly going to get one for polishing (aside -- any tips on which one to get?).

Really, for simple stuff like dusting and daily maintenance, any horsehair brush will do. You're basically looking at longevity/quality and how often it's going to drop bristles. I just use a basic Kiwi brush I picked up at a department store for $7. You can get much nicer ones in the $20-30 range, but I leave them to the shine kit. There's also the wonderful absurdities of hand-sewn, yak hair brushes set in exotic hardwoods you can find on sites like The Hanger Project.

To answer your question about the clothes, I bought them to wipe down the inside windshield after a pollen-filled summer. I used one, but that didn't help as much as I would've liked, so I defaulted back to glass cleaner and newspaper/coffee filters. The results were much better. The upside is that I now have three remaining microfiber cloths to brush off my shoes with!

Ah, ok yeah I always use paper towels/filters/etc. for the glass. I use microfiber towels for interior cleaning and waxing the exterior, for which they work perfectly, and pretty much any towel will do there.

I prefer to use a horsehair brush as well, as it gets into tight spots more efficiently (stitching, where the sole & leather meet, etc.) Plus, if they've been polished somewhat recently, 60 seconds with a brush will bring out a passable shine.

Top Bottom