What's new

Turkey hunting?

So, does anyone hunt their own turkeys for Thanksgiving? There are lots of places where they actually run wild. I've never done it. It would be way too much work to have to pluck the bird, but I bet it makes for good eats!

Don't taste like store bought, lot leaner and thinner. Tasty though. Only hunt the spring, so long gone by Thanksgiving.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Same here. Spring turkey hunting is my favorite thing to do, but I never hunt them in the fall.

I went turkey hunting a few times when I lived in places that had wild turkeys. Never got one though. It's harder than you think it might be. Turkeys are good at staying just far enough away from you :).

I've never hunted turkeys. By the way, did you watch Obummer pardon the turkey yesterday? He said turkeys can't fly! Bwahahaha!

Mike

I have never turkey hunted, but never really understood the sport. I am supposed to hide in a blind, and out dumb a tom into getting close enough for me to shoot it with a shotgun or bow, when I could take the head off of countless numbers of them with a 22-250 from just about anywhere?

Just kidding. Sort of.

I've eaten it a couple of times, and bberg is right. It is a lot leaner. First time, buddy dried it out. Second time, different buddy deep fried it, and it was awesome.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Wild turkey (not the whiskey, of course) is an entirely different animal from the shed raised ones we all eat, just like anything else.

The deformed, shed raised ones with the Dolly Parton breasts can't fly. They can't get off the ground with all that breast weight.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have never turkey hunted, but never really understood the sport. I am supposed to hide in a blind, and out dumb a tom into getting close enough for me to shoot it with a shotgun or bow, when I could take the head off of countless numbers of them with a 22-250 from just about anywhere?

Just kidding. Sort of.

I've eaten it a couple of times, and bberg is right. It is a lot leaner. First time, buddy dried it out. Second time, different buddy deep fried it, and it was awesome.
"If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean

Top Bottom