What's new

Safe to buy a kid a pocket knife anymore?

I like the idea of keeping in a bag like the mentioned adventure backpack. The opinel looks like a nice knife for my seven year old.
It's got a rounded butter end tip. I had read that most accidents with kids and knives are from poking themselves. Not sure if it's true, but Opinel makes a fine knife and they're cheap.

I also read it is best to keep them sharp sharp sharp.

back in my day boys were men and men were real men.

This was the boy scout knife we got.

$kinfe---.JPG
I know I was younger than thirteen.
rounded tip ?
They dumped us off someplace with a map and compass and said see you in a week.

Legion

Staff member

View attachment 618360
rounded tip ?

Either you are rather mature, or they haven't changed that knife design since Germany in the the 30/40's.

Well, thanks for bumming out my morning. This thread makes me sad. What the hell is the world coming to when you have to wonder if it's safe to buy a 13-year-old kid a pocket knife?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Either you are rather mature, or they haven't changed that knife design since Germany in the the 30/40's.

ROTFL! All it needs is the "Blut und Ehre" inscription and a swastickle and bobs yer uncle! I never noticed the similarity before. And the B.S. was a pretty far right organization at one time. Coincidence? Must be.

rounded tip ?
The rounded rip is fine for kids under 10, they aren't stabbing anything and doesn't affect the regular use of the knife.....plus it was the only one my wife (pediatric nurse), would approved of. To be honest, I'm surprised she even signed off on that one.

View attachment 618360
rounded tip ?

I still have mine that I got as a kid in the 1950's. Looks more dangerous than it is since it's impossible to put any kind of decent edge on it.

$IMG_0347.jpg

ROTFL! All it needs is the "Blut und Ehre" inscription and a swastickle and bobs yer uncle! I never noticed the similarity before. And the B.S. was a pretty far right organization at one time. Coincidence? Must be.

A short history of the German boy scout knife.
there were a number of independent boy scout movements in Germany going by different names. Then Uncle Adolf decided that all the boy scout organizations would merge into the the organization called the Hitler youth.
Any one who did not was disbanded.
The Hitler youth knife is the one with the swastika in it. Some people say the knife predates the Hitler Youth but I have not seen any evidence of that yet.
After the war when Germany had scouting organizations again they continued to use the old knife but the changed the little symbol.
Since in Germany the Scouts are organized by the church you have the catholic scouts and protestant scouts and the non denominational scouts.
notice I said scouts, :) yes that is right in Germany Scouts is boys and girls all romping in the woods together.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
A short history of the German boy scout knife.
there were a number of independent boy scout movements in Germany going by different names. Then Uncle Adolf decided that all the boy scout organizations would merge into the the organization called the Hitler youth.
Any one who did not was disbanded.
The Hitler youth knife is the one with the swastika in it. Some people say the knife predates the Hitler Youth but I have not seen any evidence of that yet.
After the war when Germany had scouting organizations again they continued to use the old knife but the changed the little symbol.
Since in Germany the Scouts are organized by the church you have the catholic scouts and protestant scouts and the non denominational scouts.
notice I said scouts, :) yes that is right in Germany Scouts is boys and girls all romping in the woods together.

i think the scouts are co-ed in Australia now as well.

when I had to surrender my swiss army classic mini knife with fingernail file, clippers, and toothpick... at the county courthouse as a 40 something I knew the age of casual knife carry was over. While the idea of a personal knife is, and should be a sign of personal growth and responsibility, I fear that unless it is an entirely situational gift with a set of rules about the fact it's only appropriate in given situations, it's a detriment and not a benefit.

Teach and give a fillet knife when you and your child (son or daughter) go fishing and they need to know how to clean.
Teach the use of, and give a skinning knife when they bring their first bird on the wing.
Teach the use of, and give a hunting knife when they get their first field dressed hunt.
Teach the use of, and give a diving knife when they are comfortable and used to caring for their wetsuit and gear.
Teach the use of, and give a spiderco knife when you teach them how to drive so they can quickly remove a stuck seat belt after an accident.
Teach the use of, and give a fighting knife when you know they are going off to military service.

Each of these instances is needs based and your offspring will know the why, the responsibilities, and the how of each and it's use.

Then, do as my Dad did, and save the personal blade until it's a right of adulthood and it's entirely meant as a gift from a proud Father to their child... because by then they'll know precisely what a knife is for, and what it is not.

I gave my boy a pocket knife when he turned 8 and started scouts. I taught him how to hold and use it safely as he carved a bar of soap. It has never been a problem. He has seen me cary a knife on me everyday for work and edc when I'm not at work. It is all in how you teach them. Its been a year and he has not abused this privilege and keeps it in a drawer when not in use. It is a Victorinox "camper" folding knife. It works well for his little hands.

While I agree that a locking blade is FAR safer for young hands, I think a lot of places treat those knives as a "fighting knife" and restrict them more. Shouldn't really be an issue for a kid as ANY knife is probably going to lead to punishment in school, but it is a silly bit of knife paranoia to be aware of.

I would hazard a guess that having the blade close on fingers is probably the most preventable knife injury, so a locking blade should be required, not viewed with suspicion.

$ks5.jpg

This is what we carried back in the day, when my friends and I were in the Cub Scouts. For most of us, this was the first "real" knife we had. We used and abused these knives for years. Never a problem. Often they were honed on the sidewalk to an edge we 8 year olds thought was just fine. Most of us later discovered Dad's Carborundum stone and things were much better.

Legion

Staff member
I think WR Case still make a knife like that, but with better quality tha those old Callmulus, kutmaster, Imperial, etc.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
View attachment 621630

This is what we carried back in the day, when my friends and I were in the Cub Scouts. For most of us, this was the first "real" knife we had. We used and abused these knives for years. Never a problem. Often they were honed on the sidewalk to an edge we 8 year olds thought was just fine. Most of us later discovered Dad's Carborundum stone and things were much better.

Yup, that's what we had.

Dad taught me how to sharpen a knife on a brick, then strop on your jeans. Granddad and Uncle taught me how to whittle.

And yup...things got a whole lot better with a real sharpening stone.

I carry a Case mini stockman now. It's all I need in my situations...opening letters and boxes, cutting string, rope, or fishing line, removing staples, etc. etc. Oh, and a makeshift screwdriver and pry bar. :scared:

proxy.php

Kind of a sad thought, but I've heard that in the UK you can't even buy the plastic picnic knives unless you are 18 years old.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a traditional rite of passage in my family to hand down the previous generations pocket knives(and other personal items) to our sons and daughters. Thirteen seems like a good age for a pocket knife, although I did it a bit earlier. I am certain your school policies on knives are well outlined so check them out.

Legion

Staff member
Haha. Look what I just found in a box. I might spend the afternoon making it a little project.

$DSC00177.jpg

I got given my first knife at the age of eight. It was a requirement for the cub scouts that I carried it all the time. That was a different time though.

Don't know how old I was when I got my first knife, but it was younger than eight. Rural environment, though. This is going to break some hearts: When we were really young, the grown-ups would break the blade out of a straight razor and give us what was left as a toy knife.

Officially knives were forbidden in school. Unofficially, faculty exercised a good bit of discretion. Once, during biology, we were running short on scalpels, and at the teacher's request, we boys used our pocket knives and let the girls have the scalpels.

A real good folder is the Victorinox Pioneer. It has aluminum sides, and is basically a high-class version of the old Camilus military folding knife and Boy Scout knife. On one of the sides is a small rectangle for engraving. I bought one for every day carry, but it was so nice that I keep it in the drawer most days.

The way people freak, I'd pick a innocuous looking folder. There are even good single-blade lock blades that look like run-of-the-mill folders.

Or you might consider a little peanut knife. Never had much use for them, but they can cut loose threads, open letters, and sharpen pencils.

Top Bottom