What's new

Safe to buy a kid a pocket knife anymore?

I just got my 8-year-old son a knife. I only spent $15, so it's not a collector-grade knife. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality even though it's made in China. It's a Colt Buckshot Double Lockback.
proxy.php

For now, the knife stays with my collection, and he is only allowed to have the knife when it's given to him (and used with supervision). A lot of the training has to do with proper attitude -- respect for others and self-control -- which he has already demonstrated or else I would not have gotten him a knife.

His hands-on training will consist with safe handling, proper use (whittling, cutting rope, etc), and maintenance.

I just got my 8-year-old son a knife. I only spent $15, so it's not a collector-grade knife. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality even though it's made in China. It's a Colt Buckshot Double Lockback.
proxy.php

For now, the knife stays with my collection, and he is only allowed to have the knife when it's given to him (and used with supervision). A lot of the training has to do with proper attitude -- respect for others and self-control -- which he has already demonstrated or else I would not have gotten him a knife.

His hands-on training will consist with safe handling, proper use (whittling, cutting rope, etc), and maintenance.
Good for you.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I gave my 8-year-old son one of these:

proxy.php

Pretty sweet knife, if I do say so myself. It was small enough that he could hold it okay in his hand, and big enough that he could use it into adulthood if he wants. I'll let him learn about folding knives later ... for now, it's the basics.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... and yes, my decision to give it to him had a lot to do with his demonstrated maturity level.

With all the craziness in schools these days - and that can have several equally valid meanings. I have son who's 13th birthday is early next year and normally - and at his level of maturity - I'd have no problem getting him a small knife. He's had a leatherman he's kept in his room for a couple of years now. However, I'm worried that he'd forget it in a jeans pocket and get expelled or something.
My two kids cannot be expelled. They are homeschoolers.

The key is educating him on the responsibility that comes with it. By the time I was 9 I had my own rifle, shotgun and a couple small knives. Never in a million years would I have dreamed of taking any of that to school. My pops would have beat my ***.

Top Bottom