What's new

Question for Cold Climate Shavers

I've been using Mitchell's Wool Fat. It usually works wonders, to the point where I was tempted to pass on my ASB. I tried different soaps thinking lather was the culprit, and that only made things worse

MWF is a great protective soap. In this case I would say you are on the right track to add a moisturizing post shave in the colder months if you are experiencing dryness while using MWF.

I would also suggest Myrsol Emulsion, but that may be a rather expensive rabbit hole to go down.

Last edited:
MWF is a great protective soap. In this case I would say you are on the right track to add a moisturizing post shave in the colder months.

I usually use Nivea post shave, but I'm considering the Shea butter assuming it would a kosher thing to do

Welcome to B&B.

Get a good quality skin moisturizer and apply it at night before retiring. It will work wonders. I happen to use CeraVe. We don't have the cold weather of the Northeast - but it is very dry in AZ and I get dry skin, too, if I don't use a moisturizer.

A lanolin based soap will help, unrefined Shea butter is also a great post shave. I use Noxema moisturizing cleansing cream as a face wash while in the shower. Originally tried it as a pre-shave, but found it best as full face wash. Really softens whiskers for close shave...

treat your skin with a conditioner pre and post shave.
Many excellent brands, or even just shea butter as main ingredient.
If you want to do your miracle ointment, use also lanoline, if you're not allergic to this ingredient. Lanoline has great capacity of repair and moisturize.
if you have some old pans go for an ointment made of 70% shea butter and 30% lanoline. Mix and stir them in bain marie. Let is cool. Voila. Optionally few drops of lavender EO.
A little goes a loooooooooooong way.
Miracles for your skin.

I make a pre-shave, a mixture of olive, canola and castor oil, which I use all year round. In the colder, dryer, months, I tend to use more aftershave balms. Arko makes some great balms, and that blue stuff from Gillette is pretty good, too.

Try Nivea Post Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin. Inexpensive and widely available. Alternatively, try any good hand lotion. That'll work fine on your face. It's all skin to me.

Agree. I have similar issue and I use an after shave balm religiously year around and also another balm prior to turning in. I find that it keeps my face moisturized and supple and helps it recover from the day to day DE shave. Nieva sensitive is a good choice.

Welcome to B&B.

Get a good quality skin moisturizer and apply it at night before retiring. It will work wonders. I happen to use CeraVe. We don't have the cold weather of the Northeast - but it is very dry in AZ and I get dry skin, too, if I don't use a moisturizer.

+1 for CereVe. Works great on hands too which can also really dry out from wet shaving. It has hyaluronic acid in it which attracts moisture. What I really like about it is it doesn't feel like you have lotion on. If you buy this get it from Amazon - have the cost of Walgreens. Also, +1 on Nivea sensitive balm. Really calms things down post shave without being sticky or clingy, which I hate. Scent is not as strong as the original formula which is a plus for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sweet almond oil, or mineral oil (baby oil) over your aftershave locks in moisture and AS goodness.

Welcome aboard, and stay warm.

AA

Excellent topic, Gott543.

I have moved more in the direction of balms and moisturizers during the winter months. Many have mentioned Nivea Sensitive (very inexpensive in some locations (Wegmans, Walmart), others have mentioned Stirling (great reputation) while others talk about moisturizing at night or using shea butter.

As you probably know when cold weather comes and the temperature drops, cold air holds less moisture. The colder the weather, the drier the air is. Add some wind and mix that in with spending more times indoors in heated spaces and you have a perfect recipe for drying out your skin. (I can now personally testify that age is also a factor.

I'll add Soap Commander's aftershave balms or lotions to the above list.

When I am done with the shave, I slather on another coat of TOBS Peppermint (or AoS Lavender or Kelp) and leave it on while I police the area and stow the gear. When I do my final rinse, my skin feels quite moisturized. I do not use a balm or moisturizer afterwards. I found I could not do that with Proraso, and some others (somewhat dry post shave feel). It is simple and works for me.
Perhaps you can find one (cream or soap) that works similarly on your skin.

Nice to know I'm not the only one with a dry face lol. Nivea ASB is great stuff, I've been using it since I began wet shaving, no longer cuts it. Many of you suggest simple hand lotion. SWMBO has Aveeno hanging around. Tried that too. Didn't work all that well plus I'm not a fan of the scent. So thanks to Mostho I'm onto his ASB recipe.

This to start $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448488361.862603.jpg

Turns into this$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448488388.397992.jpg

Couldn't find the lavender EO. I'll give this a shot and report back

Also, for those of you that use CeraVe, what's the scent? ( yeah I know, guy likes Arko but he's gonna complain about lotion scent)

Nice to know I'm not the only one with a dry face lol. Nivea ASB is great stuff, I've been using it since I began wet shaving, no longer cuts it. Many of you suggest simple hand lotion. SWMBO has Aveeno hanging around. Tried that too. Didn't work all that well plus I'm not a fan of the scent. So thanks to Mostho I'm onto his ASB recipe.

This to startView attachment 618034

Turns into thisView attachment 618035

Couldn't find the lavender EO. I'll give this a shot and report back

That looks impressive.

Used it tonite after my shave and it is impressive as it looks. After it cools it has a consistency similar to honey. It's not for everyone however, if you don't like balms you definitely won't like it. For me, it's a huge sucess. A big thank you goes out to Mostho for sharing the recipe for his secret Italian sauce!

Top Bottom