What's new

Help With My Humidor

Hey brown leaf frequenters,

I've come to seek the advice of the knowledgeable minds of B&B. I received a Capri 50 count glass top humidor for christmas. I had had other humidors that weren't keeping humidity, so I figured for the longest time that they were defective (they were hand-me-downs from my grandfather which had been in cool temp storage for years). Upon further research, I figured out that you had to keep a humidor relatively well stocked in order for it to work; my measly handful of stogies wasn't going to cut it :001_rolle thankfully, a little later someone gifted me a box of very fine, yet inexpensive Sancho Panzas (golf buddy knew it was one of my favorite every day type smoke), so I figured I could afford the experiment with them. I bought a drymistat tube shaped gel humidifier, and seasoned the humidor with a wet sponge placed on a plastic bag on the floor of a humidor for 3 days, periodically re-wetting the sponge. I added the 20 Sancho Panzas from the box, along with about 10 other cigars I previously acquired. Things went well for the first two weeks or so, with the humidity holding at 71% but after that, it dropped to 65% and has held steady for the last two months. I haven't checked if the hygrometer attached to the front of the humidor - which is what I'm basing my reading off of - is accurate or not, and my xikar digital hygrometer is out of batteries, but I can definitely tell the cigars are drier than they were in the past, due to a bitter, dry smoke and the fact that they've become very firm.

Granted, I have been smoking them down so there are less then I started with, but I don't smoke so often that the numbers would have significantly changed from those first two weeks onward. I believe I still have about 20 in there, though some are still in a plastic wrapper. Is there any advice you guys may have?

Thanks all,

Max

My advice is to buy some batteries and check your gauges. Maybe buy a new gauge and use both gauges plus your hygrometer.

Also take your hygrometer to a cigar store with a nice walk in humidor and test it there next to the fancy one they have. Buy a cigar or 6 for their trouble and rehydrate your humidor.

My advice is to buy some batteries and check your gauges. Maybe buy a new gauge and use both gauges plus your hygrometer.

Also take your hygrometer to a cigar store with a nice walk in humidor and test it there next to the fancy one they have. Buy a cigar or 6 for their trouble and rehydrate your humidor.
This. Analog hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

A lot of variables could be contributing, not the least of which is the recent temperature drop (and corresponding ambient humidity drop) in your neck of the woods. I lived near Chicago for three years, and it was a constant struggle to keep my humidor where I wanted it when a rush of very dry air invaded it every time I opened it to grab a cigar. Once you know your readings are accurate, you can assess whether your humidor actually has a problem or you just need to manage the humidity level a little more closely.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'd pull the smokes out and reseason the humidor. Wipe the inside down with distilled water. Place a small bowl of distilled in the bottom. Close the box up for a day or so. Second day, wipe it down again.You don't want any standing water in the bottom. Some folks will say this is bad, but I've done this with dozens of Humidors and never had a problem,
Check that the humidifer stick is fully charged.

All good advice from my fellow BL Brothers. You can do a test to see if your hygrometer is accurate or not. It is called the "Salt Test".

It is the best and most cost effective way to see if your hygrometer is reading accurately. Of course you could get a Boveda humidity pack and test it that way too. But the salt test works and it works well.

Give it a shot and let us know how you get on.

I cant remove the hygrometer, it's bonded to the front of the humidor, so I can't do a salt test. I should just get my digital hygrometer up and running. But like I said, I notice the difference in the quality of my smoke, so I'm pretty sure it's running dry in whatever state of calibration the current hygrometer is in (kind of like a "butt dyno" for those car guys). I may just re season it, and I DEFINITELY don't need an excuse to buy more cigars, so maybe I'll have to swing by my local tobacconist.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I constantly had the same problem as you with my 150 count humidor. I made sure the humidor didn't have leaks, I used the same drymist gel sticks, I re-seasoned on occasion and finally went to the Boveda packs, trying to keep a constant steady in humidity levels.

I even kept re-calibrating my Xikar digital hygrometer, still with the same frustrating results of dropping humidity levels and dry, harsh smoking cigars.

Out of a last ditch effort to save a humidor full of AF Short Stories, I took my wooden, glassed top humidor, with a few Boveda packs, and placed the whole humidor into a larger plastic thermal cooler, with a few Boveda packs in it also.

My state of Oklahoma barometer readings, constantly bounce from sopping wet air, to arid, desert conditions on the daily, totally unpredictable. But my humidor stays constant now, and my Short Stories smoke and ash wonderfully.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I cant remove the hygrometer, it's bonded to the front of the humidor, so I can't do a salt test. I should just get my digital hygrometer up and running. But like I said, I notice the difference in the quality of my smoke, so I'm pretty sure it's running dry in whatever state of calibration the current hygrometer is in (kind of like a "butt dyno" for those car guys). I may just re season it, and I DEFINITELY don't need an excuse to buy more cigars, so maybe I'll have to swing by my local tobacconist.
That's the spirit. More cigars is always good

I agree, get a battery for your digital hydrometer, - in the AZ desert here, I am always battling to keep my humidity up, but when the temps drop, it gets much harder - I occasionally have to resort to sticking a shot glass half full of distilled water to give a helping hand to my bead humidifiers

I notice a drop after a few weeks so I put something heavy on the lid. That solved the problem.

I'm using distilled water in a small carryout container for salad dressing. I still never go over 70%

I've given up on wooden humidors. It's a pain in the *** to keep them within the right range of humidity. I've since moved onto a coolidor. The only "problem" is that now I have much more room for sticks, and I can't use "I have no more room for any more cigars" as an excuse to stop buying more.

LOL! I have thought about a coolidor, I wonder if I could disguise one to look like an end table or cabinet of some kind.

I'd pull the smokes out and reseason the humidor. Wipe the inside down with distilled water. Place a small bowl of distilled in the bottom. Close the box up for a day or so. Second day, wipe it down again.You don't want any standing water in the bottom. Some folks will say this is bad, but I've done this with dozens of Humidors and never had a problem,
Check that the humidifer stick is fully charged.

I agree 100%. I season my aging humidor once or twice a year. My smaller one at least twice a year if not more. A lot of things influence how often you need to re-season, including RH in your area, temperature, and quality of the humidor. Living in the desert, even my nicest humidor needs re-seasoned at least once a year. I have some cheapo desktops that don't seal very well that need it every 3 mos. Just remember when you wipe it down you're just going for damp, not wet with runoff, and also use distilled or RO water but not tap. HTH

I lived near Chicago for three years, and it was a constant struggle to keep my humidor where I wanted it when a rush of very dry air invaded it every time I opened it to grab a cigar.

+1. I've had girlfriends with fewer mood swings than my humidor...

I would not add anymore cigars until you get the humidity right. With a glass top it will be easy to see the hygrometer without opening the top. Also leave the wraps on your cigars to help against humidity swings.

add a couple of these and be done with it.

$image.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with everyone that you should probably get an accurate humidity reading first. Without its going to be hard to figure out what is going on. If your hygrometer is off, you wont even know if your doing something right when u do.

Boveda also has hygrometer calibration kits that work really well. I could never get the salt test to work for some reason.

Also, glass top humidors are notorious for leaks.

Top Bottom